• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aphaenogaster cf epirotes journal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 5 2021 - 2:07 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

This is a journal for the aphaenogaster epirotes colony that I keep, note this journal will not be updated often because nothing special happens with this colony anyway, that's why I call them "the boring ants
I bought this colony before 2-2,5 weeks and the colony is almost a year old I think and it has 10 workers and some eggs.. they are just sitting there and eat a little, nothing special to see or keep.
Here some photos:

Edit: Today (15/9/2021) I take back the "boring ants" for now on they are a special colony for me and I think they are interesting and amazing! I was stupid of thinking/telling that.

Edited by GreekAnts, September 22 2021 - 3:24 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and m99 like this

#2 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 15 2021 - 3:12 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

It turns out I fell in love with them, I changed their test tube setup, sorry I forgot to update it here, it was a easy process, I just turned the old test tube upside down and tapped and they fell on a plastic container with barrier I placed, then I grabbed them very carefully with a cotton and I placed them in the new test tube, first the queen then the 9 workers and last the 10th worker that carried the eggs in its mouth, it was amazing to see the last worker evacuate the nest with the eggs in its mouth and do everything for their safety,I felt pretty bad in that moment but no ants were damaged and they got a new clean nest without mold or growing chia inside,This ants seem to be pretty brave and they don't get stressed easily so everything went great, now some days later with some feeding we got our first larvae (early stages) and some eggs that going to be larvae! 
I am so happy for this colony and they are one of my favourites!!! here some pictures:

• ANTdrew, Moonant01, antgallery and 1 other like this

#3 Offline Shazza - Posted September 15 2021 - 1:27 PM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Following!!!
  • GreekAnts likes this

#4 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 22 2021 - 3:34 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Some new photos, the larvae seem to have grown a bit:

• Shazza and m99 like this

#5 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 23 2021 - 1:59 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Today a local ant keeper gave me a second colony, I think they might be same sp but I am not sure, I will include them in this journal too.
here some pics:

• Moonant01, Shazza and m99 like this

#6 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 27 2021 - 9:10 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Hello,I hope everyone had a good day, I wanted to update this journal again so here a small update for the 2 colonies:

Colony 1. Aphaenogaster cf Epirotes:
The colony seem to doing very good and their big larvae developed to early pupa stages, some eggs developed to early larvae stages too, the brood seem to develop fast but I think the queen might take some brakes around the year, so that would explain why she is not producing a lot of eggs fast like some other species do (for example the messors).

Colony 2. Aphaenogaster sp (might be epirotes too):
The colony seem to doing very good and has more brood than the other aphaenogaster colony, they seem to stress a little when I check on them but I think they will be used to it after some time.

Aphaenogasters (at least the sp's I got) seem to be really interesting, they might be slow but I like it because I will enjoy their early stages for a longer time,also they are not aggressive and I can feed them inside the test tube.They don't forage outside yet but I can look on them however I want without them stress so much, yea my second colony seem to stress a little but my first colony don't stress at all! they are amazing ants and are one of my favourites!!!! I hope you enjoyed this update!!!

Edited by GreekAnts, September 27 2021 - 9:13 AM.

• ANTdrew, Moonant01 and m99 like this

#7 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 6 2021 - 5:08 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Today I fed the colony 1 (Aphaenogaster epirotes) a fly, here some photos: (sorry for the first ones, I didn't had good light)

here the queen feed a larvae

and one photo from the second colony: (I will feed them later)

Edited by GreekAnts, October 6 2021 - 5:11 AM.

• m99 likes this

#8 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 11 2021 - 3:13 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

A video of my Aphaenogaster epirotes colony catching a live mosquito:
https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

It shows it as a icon of a picture for a reason but its a video from google drive.
Ok fixed it!

Edited by GreekAnts, October 11 2021 - 3:16 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and Shazza like this

#9 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 31 2021 - 10:44 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

The colonies are doing great, more brood and they eat a lot, they are still active and brood is waiting to hatch.
Colony 1:

Colony 2:

• m99 likes this

#10 Offline GreekAnts - Posted November 19 2021 - 4:22 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Both colonies are doing great, they eat a lot of protein (meal worms and mealworm beetles) and they have a lot of brood, they are still active and I enjoy watching them!!
The only problem with most aphaenogasters if not with all is that they are really dirty ants, my second colony manage to make a fresh test tube setup super dirty in 1-2 months and for a reason most of the water evaporated too so I had to change their setup by the same method that works on them, carefully taping them to the new test tube, I know I could just connect the 2 tubes and wait but I have tried it before and because these ants are super stabborn my only choice was these, it took them some days to calm down and get used to the new nest but it was worth it and everything went well, my first colony have the same problem but their tube is still decent and not that bad,my only problem is that the glass is cloudy so its hard to photograph them but I will wait a little longer before change their setup again.
Here some pics:
colony 1:

As you can see the test tube is cloudy and makes it harder to photograph them.
colony 2:

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users