• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

First Successful Multispecies Honeypot Colony

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 30 2022 - 7:04 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I have a feeling of hope for these queens. I know this is not really the same thing but Camponotus pennsylvanicus have NEVER been recorded to be polygynous in any parts of the U.S. to my knowledge, yet I have a two-queen colony that's doing great. I have a feeling that anything can be possible at this point. If I can make a polygynous pennsylvanicus on accident, then what's not to say a multispecies of Myrmecocystus can't happen.

Many large-colony Camponotus and Messor species appear to have a natural tendency towards oligogyny (usually they adopt queens - often their own - in outskirt satellite nests), so with those it at least seems kinda plausible to have a multiqueen colony.

Very few North American species I've observed do that. In fact, I don't believe I've ever seen that happen in North American Camponotus at all and I've seen quite a few colonies of them now in my life. I could be wrong though. I haven't seen the Eastern and Southeastern U.S. Camponotus yet.

Edited by NicholasP, August 30 2022 - 7:08 AM.

#22 Offline OiledOlives - Posted August 30 2022 - 8:03 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia
I have successfully worker boosted with every common Camponotus in VA with the exception of castaneus. (Pennsylvanicus, chromaiodes, nearcticus, and subbarbatus)

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

#23 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 30 2022 - 6:46 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I have successfully worker boosted with every common Camponotus in VA with the exception of castaneus. (Pennsylvanicus, chromaiodes, nearcticus, and subbarbatus)

You have yet to try C. novaeboracensis.

Edited by NicholasP, August 30 2022 - 6:50 PM.

#24 Offline UrbanOrganisms - Posted August 30 2022 - 9:12 PM

UrbanOrganisms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Sorry for the lack of updates, but yeah shortly after the workers eclosing the mimicus queen appeared dead. Still pretty interesting though they could found together

• B_rad0806, ZTYguy, UtahAnts and 1 other like this

#25 Online B_rad0806 - Posted August 30 2022 - 9:55 PM

B_rad0806

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Sorry for the lack of updates, but yeah shortly after the workers eclosing the mimicus queen appeared dead. Still pretty interesting though they could found together

Personally me, I would never let that happen

• ZTYguy, OiledOlives and FinWins like this

Journals:

Ant Journals

Shop:

Brad's Ant Adoption

Instagram:

brad_ants

YouTube:

B_rad0806

#26 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 31 2022 - 7:48 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

What I can say first and foremost is that multispecies colonies are very hard to make. I've successfully done at one-point P. rugosus and Novomessor cockerelli to see how this would work because rugosus would be extreme seed harvesters and cockerelli would be great at meat hunting combine the two and you could get a very efficient colony. The cockerelli worker that I boosted them with eclosed, the rugosus queen cared for her eggs. But problem was that I forget to take into account was the cockerelli are very untolerant of multiple queens. So, while the workers were calm with both queens the cockerelli queen attacked whenever the rugosus queen passed around. Brood boosts of different genuses are hard as well. I unfortunately had to give my Camponotus pennsylvanicus colony the brood that my Formica sanguinea group queen had since she passed away and they seemed to be eating them. So, while I was very hopeful for some Formica to be nice and calm with the pennsylvanicus at least the brood is not going to waste. But brood boosting different genuses with different brood does work. A P. rugosus queen I had before I moved accepted Novomessor pupae and the worker eclosed. Only problem was that I left for vacation and came back to see they died because due to an emergency stop along the trip, they died from starvation even though I gave them seeds. Sad to have seen it end like that when it was going so well but multi species colonies are possible.

Edited by NicholasP, August 31 2022 - 7:52 AM.

#27 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 31 2022 - 12:48 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You have yet to try C. novaeboracensis.
C. novaeboracensis are very uncommon in Virginia.
  • OiledOlives likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users