• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Arachnid's Pogonomyrmex occidentalis Journal

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 6 2021 - 10:11 AM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationBoston, Massachusetts

I look forward to watching your colony grow. I feel like our queens are racing each other now. :lol:

i know I'm loving this vibe! I'm at about 100 workers so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and muddsnake88 like this

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis (1) | Camponotus pennsylvanicus (6) | Lasius aphidicola (4) | |  Tapinoma sessile  (3) | Lasius spp. (niger group) (2)  

#22 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 8 2021 - 4:32 PM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Nest Time-lapse (July - September)

July 11

July 11 The colony has quickly begun moving into the nest

Aug 21

Aug 21 Full nest

Sept. 4

sep4

Sept. 5

Sept. 5

Sept. 6

Sept. 7

Sept. 8

Edited by Arachnids, September 8 2021 - 4:33 PM.

• TacticalHandleGaming and m99 like this

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis (1) | Camponotus pennsylvanicus (6) | Lasius aphidicola (4) | |  Tapinoma sessile  (3) | Lasius spp. (niger group) (2)  

#23 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 8 2021 - 4:39 PM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Sept. 8 Population Estimates

Workers: 100

Eggs: ??

Larvae: 30

Pupae: 7

Queen: 1

• TacticalHandleGaming and futurebird like this

#24 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 8 2021 - 5:14 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationOregon

I've noticed I have a hard time finding the egg pile sometimes, as often a worker is holding them all at one of the water towers.

• Arachnids likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#25 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 8 2021 - 5:52 PM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

I've noticed I have a hard time finding the egg pile sometimes, as often a worker is holding them all at one of the water towers.

Mine do the same thing. Really cool observation! ty

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#26 Offline futurebird - Posted September 8 2021 - 6:23 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY
I've been compiling photos of ants holding eggs since they seem to do it so often. I think a valid ant "job" is "egg holder"

SW6g8Ut.jpg

I've caught nearly all of my colonies doing it... including, as you can see the Pogonomyrmex.
  • smares and TacticalHandleGaming like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#27 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 16 2021 - 4:15 AM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Sept. 5

Feeding
After the colony accepted the poppy seeds I decided I should withhold seeds for a little bit. Their stores are filling up with seeds and there's more seeds (either dandelion or bluegrass) in the outworld that they haven't touched yet.
Also, I purchased other seeds from my grocery store to experiment with:

• Celery
  • Poppy
  • Dill
  • Sesame
  • Chia
  • Flax
So far the ants LOVE the poppy seeds. Even more than bluegrass and dandelion seeds. The seeds disappear from the outworld in mere hours.

I tried seasame seeds, and they gave it a shot and brought some into the nest, leaving the rest of the pile untouched in the outworld. In the end, they brought the seeds back to the outworld and dumped them all in the trash pile.

Then I tried celery seed. They hated this. Haven't touched a single seed, but also havent brought to the trash pile yet.

Stay tuned for more trials!

Edited by Arachnids, September 16 2021 - 4:16 AM.

#28 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 16 2021 - 4:31 AM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Observations on Graveyard Behavior
Workers carry dead individuals to the same "trash pile" they use for seed hulls and feces. This happens to be right against the outworlds nestmate port.
Image from Sept. 2

Workers also carry individuals that are not dead but appear to be injured or dying. On one occasion, I noticed an ant that was injured getting carried by a worker to the trash pile. The injured ant seemed to resist as it pushed back with its legs as if to say "No! I'm not dead yet stupid!"

This photo shows the injured ant, curled up at the bottom of the frame, and the worker that will soon be carrying it just above.

This shows the worker and one other making some sort of sensory interaction with the dying ant. I wonder if this is how they assess the health of the ant.

This shows the worker trying to relocate the dying ant to the trash pile. The dying ant is actively resisting by pressing its legs out and forward.

Further Graveyard Observations

So earlier this month, I noticed some workers carrying a not-yet-dead ant to the graveyard. This current observation is of a two workers who were licking and trying to feed a completely dead worker. It was as if they were trying to revive it or were in denial about its death or something.

Questions
Why would some ants be carried to the graveyard before they die while others die without being dragged to the graveyard immediately, and get licked by the other workers??

Did the second ant come from a higher class or have a better reputation or something?

f024435e0fd8ce8709e2f9b417addadb.jpg
33ee57e3998c7ab565f9d23e94379660.jpg
3627b2c6001c52095ee8c1164eda6c92.jpg

• eea and futurebird like this

#29 Offline futurebird - Posted September 16 2021 - 4:53 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Ants are all about efficiency. They don't have social classes or levels. If an ant can be nursed back to health to serve the colony she will be. If she is too far gone she probably won't. There is a smell, a pheromone that makes ants want to take their sisters to the graveyard. In an experiment a scientists put this scent on healthy ants and they were carried to the graveyard against their will. (and they'd just walk back to the nest, eventually the pheromone wore off)

Sometimes I've seen ants moving an ant to the graveyard AND trying to nurse her back to health. Not all cases are clear cut. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#30 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 16 2021 - 5:33 AM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Ants are all about efficiency. They don't have social classes or levels. If an ant can be nursed back to health to serve the colony she will be. If she is too far gone she probably won't. There is a smell, a pheromone that makes ants want to take their sisters to the graveyard. In an experiment a scientists put this scent on healthy ants and they were carried to the graveyard against their will. (and they'd just walk back to the nest, eventually the pheromone wore off)

Sometimes I've seen ants moving an ant to the graveyard AND trying to nurse her back to health. Not all cases are clear cut.

Thank you for the knowledge. I did a little searching on the topic.

What I have learned:

I believe the study [mention]futurebird [/mention] meantioned is E.O. Wilson in the 1950s. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

The behavior (carrying ants to graveyard) is called necrophoresis.

While browsing google scholar, I happened to find a publication on necrophiresis in P. occidentalis (Zelagin, 2015). I have provided a pdf link below. This study examines the ants in their natural habitat and found that the ants did not have designated graveyards. Instead they, rather indiscriminately, discard their deceased away from the nest. The study found that dead ants from foreign colonies were dispersed further away from the nest than those from the same colony. The author suggests that this could be a adaptation for preventing infectation from diseases of other colonies.

https://core.ac.uk/d...df/54847407.pdf

#31 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 23 2021 - 8:48 AM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

September 23, 2021

Nest Sept. 23, 2021
Outworld Sept. 23, 2021

#32 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 23 2021 - 8:50 AM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Current Population Estimates

100 Workers

10 Pupae

20 Larvae

1 Queen

Total: 131

#33 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 23 2021 - 9:01 AM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Seed Experiments

I have been testing out different types of seeds to qualitatively understand their food preferences. So far, Celery Seed was completely rejected. A few Sesame Seeds were initially brought into the nest, however they ended up moving the rest to the garbage pile. Chia and Poppy seeds would disappear in just a few hours after I put them in the outworld. They seemed to prefer these over the Dandelion and the Bluegrass. 

I suspect their preferences are close to this (1 being most preferred):

1. Poppy
  2. Chia
  3. Bluegrass
  4. Dandelion
  5. Bluegrass
  6. Sesame
  7. Celery

Next trials will be for Dill and Flax

#34 Offline Arachnids - Posted September 23 2021 - 9:04 AM

Arachnids

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

My pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony has a diet of sunburst ant nectar, dandelion seeds, chia seeds, poppy seeds, fruit flies, and fish food flakes. They love it all. I put fluon in their outworld, as they can actually jump a bit, and have attempted to escape. Mack posted a video demonstrating that in the FB group.

You are right about the fish flakes. My colony loves them!

#35 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 23 2021 - 9:11 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationOregon

My pogonomyrmex occidentalis colony has a diet of sunburst ant nectar, dandelion seeds, chia seeds, poppy seeds, fruit flies, and fish food flakes. They love it all. I put fluon in their outworld, as they can actually jump a bit, and have attempted to escape. Mack posted a video demonstrating that in the FB group.

You are right about the fish flakes. My colony loves them!

Yeah, my colony always gets super excited about them. They take them straight to the larvae every time. 

• Arachnids likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

Looking for

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

#36 Online TacticalHandleGaming - Posted November 5 2021 - 5:30 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationOregon
Any updates on how this colony is doing?

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users