• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants on a Camping Trip?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CasiahJade - Posted August 29 2021 - 5:00 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

So, I have a Novomessor cockerelli colony and they're regularly taking all the eggs out of the formicarium into the outworld overnight.

I'm trying to figure out why they do this, I must be doing something wrong that convinces them to do so.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted August 29 2021 - 6:15 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

When ants move brood it's because the heat and/or humidity is superior in the location they move the brood to. Since outworlds tend to be more dry it may mean that the nest is too wet, or lacks enough of a gradient in humidity for the ants to find the ideal location. 

Since they only do it at night it must not be THAT bad since they are willing to keep the brood in during the day. Some have had ants move brood even during the day. 

Also, if you nest is crowded they may be looking for a new nest site. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline CasiahJade - Posted August 29 2021 - 6:34 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

They have access to two Mini-hearths right now.  The one they stay in during the day is bifrucated and off the heating pad.  I do not fill the water tower in this one and just rely on the nest mate for hydration.  Their other location is on the heating pad and I fill the water tower once every week or so.

Edit: That isn't to dismiss the suggestion, but to establish their current conditions and see what more I need to do for them.

Edited by CasiahJade, August 29 2021 - 7:02 AM.

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted August 29 2021 - 10:44 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Novomessor very commonly moves brood during the night. I have lost track of the number of times I have seen wild colonies with brood outside covering the nest mound at night.

• KadinB and futurebird like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 29 2021 - 11:17 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,414 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ants also do not consider their outworld to be outside. With no airflow and dim light, it’s just another part of the nest to them.
  • azzaaazzzz00 and futurebird like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline CasiahJade - Posted September 1 2021 - 5:47 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

Ok, so this isn't necessarily something that I'm doing wrong.  That's good.

• KadinB likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users