Hey ya'lI, first time ant queen hunter here. I found this ant in my driveway getting out of my car after work AFTER searching for one all day at work (funny how that works). It's exactly 5mm long and I only noticed it because it had a big ole abdomen in proportion to its body. Sorry for the picture quality but it's hard to get a good clear up close shot of it with my phone through the test tube. From reading other post's I guessed its a Lasius species but I don't actually know, and I have a jewelers magnifying glass but it's hard to tell if there is wing scars so I'm not even sure it's a queen (Do you think it's one?). I can try to get some other shots if needed, I appreciate any responses.
1. Location of collection: In my Driveway
2. Date of collection: 8/25/21 about 6:30pm Eastern
3. Habitat of collection: Home community
4. Length: 5mm
5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Has a dark brown or black thorax, a lighter but similar colored abdomen with these honey colored bands on it.
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Honestly not sure here
7. Anything else distinctive: Not sure about here either, as I was using my magnifying glass I saw it cleaning itself a lot and also at one point curled it's gaster to clean the end of it?
Edited by Appo, August 25 2021 - 4:39 PM.