• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

"overcrowding"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted August 24 2021 - 5:15 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY
I have a colony of camponotus discolor who have been growing quickly all summer. I was certain they'd want to move to a bigger nest... but they have managed to simply pack even more ants into their little two room nest. I watched them for an hour or so today and it was fascinating they way they would play jenga or tetris with all of the brood and resting ants. It's normal for ants to be resting under massive piles of brood 4 pupae deep.

I'm going to trust that they know what is best. There is a larger nest right next to them. They could even just use part of it. 

N7co5di.png

It's gotten WORSE since this photo from last week. Have you ever seen how a NYC parking lot works? That's what it's like.

I could connect the larger nest to their smaller one... but that would mean disturbing them quite a bit. 

So the question: will ants overcrowd themselves to death or to an unhealthy degree?

They seem happy and active, so just reassure me I don't need to mess with them.

43a0Xph.jpg

Is this OK???

Edited by futurebird, August 24 2021 - 5:57 PM.

• TestSubjectOne, Antkeeper01 and m99 like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 24 2021 - 6:17 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The best setup for any species is to offer them a variety of nesting choices and trust their judgement. Your ants will definitely not crowd themselves to death. The cavernous commercial formicariums are extremely different from how they nest in the wild, so our idea of crowding is quite skewed.
  • TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 24 2021 - 7:17 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Overcrowding can be an issue, although you will notice an excess of workers hanging out in the outworld and eventually brood being placed outside of the nest before anything really becomes an issue. If the ants are in need of nesting space so badly that they'll nest in the outworld, it's about time you should attach a new nest.

Also, those appear to be Camponotus decipiens, not C. discolor. The majors lack erect hairs around the mandibular region, which is the main defining trait between the two species.

• Mdrogun, TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#4 Offline futurebird - Posted August 26 2021 - 5:32 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Yay! They moved during the night! They are now using both of the foranto wooden nests. They really seem to love wooden nests... more than cork in any case. I'm so excited to see how they expand now. 

• smares and m99 like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users