• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lawn grass seed mix for harvester ants?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NikolaBale - Posted August 25 2021 - 7:23 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I've been feeding my messor a vide variety of bird feed and a combination of dandelion and clover seeds.

They are doing quite fine and like it.However I'm always looking in to how to make their diet closer to what they might find in nature.

Recently I've been looking in to the variety of grass seeds agricultural shops sell for seeding lawns.The actual species of would definitely be more optimal and closer to what they eat naturally, but the problem is someone told me the seeds are chemically treated for insects...I don't know if this is true for every brand in general or just a few.
I know for instance nurbsants an American antkeeper keeps his harvester ants on Kentucky bluegrass seeds that i assume he gets in the same way.And his ants are doing just fine.

If anyone has any experience feeding your ants this please share.

PS:Logic would suggest bird feed also is treated in some way yet ants are doing fine.

Edited by NikolaBale, August 25 2021 - 7:24 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and futurebird like this

#2 Offline SoySauce - Posted August 25 2021 - 7:59 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
You can buy organic grass seeds off of Amazon.

#3 Offline CasiahJade - Posted August 25 2021 - 9:50 AM

CasiahJade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationDenton, TX

I contacted my seed source (for planting flowers for my bees) and inquired if their lawn seeds have anything added to them that could be harmful to harvester ants. https://www.naturess...com/grass-seed/

They confirmed that there is not.

#4 Offline NikolaBale - Posted August 25 2021 - 4:19 PM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I contacted my seed source (for planting flowers for my bees) and inquired if their lawn seeds have anything added to them that could be harmful to harvester ants. https://www.naturess...com/grass-seed/

They confirmed that there is not.

Yeah i just later found out as well.
Apparently there are some that are chemically treated and some that aren't...I confirmed that the ones i have available are not.

So that is great.Thanks for answering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users