• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Greekant's first journal (Messor cf wasmanni)

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 28 2021 - 2:06 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

What seeds are you feeding them?

I feed them mostly seeds and some times, like once a week or two a piece of mealworm, The seeds are these:
1. Grass seeds (I bought them from a local nursery)
2. Chia seeds (super market)
3. Poppy seeds (super market)
3.Chinese black sesame (super market)
4.linseeds (super market)
5.Bird mix seeds (supermarket too  :) )

#22 Offline antgallery - Posted September 28 2021 - 8:08 AM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

What seeds are you feeding them?

I feed them mostly seeds and some times, like once a week or two a piece of mealworm, The seeds are these:
1. Grass seeds (I bought them from a local nursery)
2. Chia seeds (super market)
3. Poppy seeds (super market)
3.Chinese black sesame (super market)
4.linseeds (super market)
5.Bird mix seeds (supermarket too  :) )

Okay thanks!

• GreekAnts likes this

#23 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 29 2021 - 4:00 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

The major wanted to say Hi!  :D 

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and eea like this

#24 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 29 2021 - 7:03 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

Messor are such a cool species. It's nice seeing people raise a colony of these, as we can't have them in the US. 

• GreekAnts likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#25 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 29 2021 - 7:32 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Messor are such a cool species. It's nice seeing people raise a colony of these, as we can't have them in the US. 

I like them so much, people in europe think they are boring and basic but I like them a lot and I am having a great time raising them, you guys don't have messor there but you have so many cool ants in northerm america!
At least I will try to update as often as I can so you can enjoy them too!

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#26 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 29 2021 - 7:37 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Forgot to mention on these journal that the queen was caught in 30th of october 2020 and she hibernated until spring, now she is 11 months old (minus the time she spend in the original nest) and she have like 35-40 workers and a ton of brood, messors grow fast.

#27 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 29 2021 - 7:40 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

I like them so much, people in europe think they are boring and basic but I like them a lot and I am having a great time raising them, you guys don't have messor there but you have so many cool ants in northerm america!

I find ants that can live off of mostly or entirely off seeds fascinating. I love my Pogonomyrmex colony because of this.  

• GreekAnts likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#28 Offline GreekAnts - Posted September 29 2021 - 1:14 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

I find ants that can live off of mostly or entirely off seeds fascinating. I love my Pogonomyrmex colony because of this.  

Yea seed harvesters are amazing!!! love Pogonomyrmex too, seem to be amazing ants!!!!

#29 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 6 2021 - 7:32 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

The messors are doing well, a lot of pupae have become workers and we had only 1 small worker dying, here some new photos:

Edited by GreekAnts, October 6 2021 - 7:33 AM.

• ANTdrew, antgallery and Shazza like this

#30 Offline antgallery - Posted October 6 2021 - 11:50 AM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Nice pictures!

• GreekAnts likes this

#31 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 7 2021 - 1:46 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Nice pictures!

Thanks, macro photography is harder than I expected, the photos could be better but still they are nice, I will try to take some better next time, now I will let them be, because I don't want to stress them too much.

• antgallery likes this

#32 Offline GreekAnts - Posted October 31 2021 - 12:09 PM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

The messors are doing well, they still have some brood and a lot of seeds, they starting to slow down for their winter rest so not much going on, sorry for not updating all this time but I don't have anything interesting to show, almost no workers forage and they are all inside their nest, I try not to disturb a lot because they get really anxious and start running around and the queen is getting stressed so no much to show anyway. At least I got some photos from 1-2 weeks ago:

Edited by GreekAnts, October 31 2021 - 12:11 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#33 Offline GreekAnts - Posted November 19 2021 - 3:21 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

This month I had a amazing suprise from my messors, they got more huge workers (perhaps majors) and 2 are kinda bigger from the others, also they started forage outside and everyday I see workers on the outworld collect seeds and explore, I have placed a second test tube and I see some minor workers stay there and sometimes try to dig through the cotton, they seem to have more larvae and eggs but fewer than the summer which is normal.
Here some more photos: 

This is how their setup looks like: (I have removed the third test tube and the cup with the soil behind)

• Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users