• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Two (likely simple) ID requests

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline yrodro - Posted August 15 2021 - 7:52 PM

yrodro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I got two quick pictures today while feeding 10 founding queens. Hopefully these are enough for you experts. If comments are negative, I'll try for extra images next time I take them out in the light.

Queen 1 was captured on July 7 2021 on the sidewalk of a public garden/plaza north of Indianapolis around 12pm. She is very skittish, and has run out of her tube when I tried to give a drop of honey (that's why I didn't take more pics). You can see her trying to hide the head under the feeding tray. Her larvae spin cocoons. Has one node petiole.

Queen 2 was captured August 10, 2021 at IUPUI campus (large lawn nearby), Indianapolis on the outer steps of a building. Had 4 dark wings, and laid 4-6 eggs about 2 days later. It looks like she also has one node petiole, and the white spot at the tip of the gaster is just cotton.

Thanks for your help!

PXL_20210815_181142390.jpg PXL_20210815_181123731.jpg
  • TestSubjectOne likes this

#2 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 15 2021 - 8:37 PM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

formica pallidefulva i think

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#3 Offline Froggy - Posted August 15 2021 - 8:48 PM

Froggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, Arizona

formica pallidefulva i think

I agree with this (at least for the species group, I'm not sure about the species), but the bottom one looks like Formica fusca group.

• zA-Z0-9 likes this

#4 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 15 2021 - 9:18 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Formica pallidefulva and fusca group. The most common of those being Formica pallidefulva and subsericea, although differentiating between species in those groups is kind of a nightmare.

• AnthonyP163, TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard and 2 others like this

#5 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 16 2021 - 7:57 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I agree with Cheeto. I think the first queen might be F. incerta, but I'd need a clear shot of the mesosoma to be sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users