• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Frass for Cyphomyrmex

cyphomyrmex frass fungus diet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 12 2021 - 11:49 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Now that I live in California, I eventually want to keep Cyphomyrmex, specifically C. wheeleri if I can find them. I know that they often use (caterpillar?) frass as a food for their fungus. As someone who buys lots of feeder insects like crickets and roaches who excrete large amounts of waste on a regular basis, would that be an acceptable food source? Do they only accept certain types of frass? Do they use anything other than frass? Thanks in advance.

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 12 2021 - 12:09 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

My T. septentrionalis have accepted frass from the dubias I raise as feeders.

• Kaelwizard likes this

#3 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted August 12 2021 - 12:15 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I also hope to keep some Cyphomyrmex wheeleri, and I have found a new nests around my area. The Cyphomyrmex in that area mostly carry chopped down vegetation. There are not many caterpillars nearby the area, so I would think that these Cyphomyrmex are not too reliant of caterpillar frass. The few caterpillars present are never near the Cyphomyrmex nests. Although that's just speculation. I have also been told that C.wheeleri do not use a lot of frass, but I do not have a proper source to reference as proof. However, there are lots of small dark beetles around the same areas. Crickets are also present in a portion of the areas, cockroaches as well but in smaller numbers. So if these ants do take frass, then it is probably from one of these other insects living nearby.

The Antwiki does mention this, "Skeletal parts of dead insects, principally fragments of coleopterous elytra, have been found inside the garden; they were probably added to the structure in order to give it consistency. The ants attach the refuse as a flat mass to the undersurface of the stone, or more rarely dump it outside the entrance." I have not digged up any of the nests to see the fungus myself.

These observations are not definite proof of their diet, but I wanted to throw out some details I have observed. Good luck with your Cyphomyrmex keeping and welcome to California.  

• Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 12 2021 - 3:09 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I also hope to keep some Cyphomyrmex wheeleri, and I have found a new nests around my area. The Cyphomyrmex in that area mostly carry chopped down vegetation. There are not many caterpillars nearby the area, so I would think that these Cyphomyrmex are not too reliant of caterpillar frass. The few caterpillars present are never near the Cyphomyrmex nests. Although that's just speculation. I have also been told that C.wheeleri do not use a lot of frass, but I do not have a proper source to reference as proof. However, there are lots of small dark beetles around the same areas. Crickets are also present in a portion of the areas, cockroaches as well but in smaller numbers. So if these ants do take frass, then it is probably from one of these other insects living nearby.

The Antwiki does mention this, "Skeletal parts of dead insects, principally fragments of coleopterous elytra, have been found inside the garden; they were probably added to the structure in order to give it consistency. The ants attach the refuse as a flat mass to the undersurface of the stone, or more rarely dump it outside the entrance." I have not digged up any of the nests to see the fungus myself.

These observations are not definite proof of their diet, but I wanted to throw out some details I have observed. Good luck with your Cyphomyrmex keeping and welcome to California.  

This was very helpful, thank you. While I was doing some research I believe I saw something about how they may use grasshopper frass, so I'm hoping that cricket or roach frass would be accepted. If not, I can also provide vegetation. Good luck to you as well.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cyphomyrmex, frass, fungus, diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users