• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Polyrhachis ants (Australia)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vulgaris - Posted December 3 2020 - 7:42 PM

Vulgaris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey guys

New member here. Originally from the USA and I haven't kept ants for many years. I live in Australia now and I found a bunch of Polyrhachis ants (alates and wingless) yesterday. I searched the forums but couldn't find much on caring for these. For instance, do multiple queens readily found nests together, or do they need to be kept individually? Right now I've got about 8 in one test tube and 4 in another. 

Also seemed a bit unusual for an alate to be carrying around a cocoon. 

Will try to upload photos in abit5755D657-D5DE-416E-B7E2-681FAF665408.jpeg 73655051-3416-48EF-9909-77F04C927AED.jpeg

• Arthroverts likes this

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted December 3 2020 - 7:44 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I would keep them separate in tubs n tubes set ups

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#3 Offline M_Ants - Posted December 3 2020 - 7:51 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

My guess is the ones with wings carrying cocoons are infertile and being used as workers. Idk though. 

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#4 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted December 4 2020 - 7:20 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Polyrhachis tend to be polygynous. If you're seeing only queens and no workers, these are likely queens working together to found. I'd keep them together and just keep a close eye out for aggression, and if you notice any then split them up. The winged ones are likely infertile and just using their resources to help the other queens, but it's not impossible that they are fertile and just decided not to shed their wings. Lovely species too!

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 4 2020 - 8:59 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
The species is polyrhachis ammon in case you didn't know.

#6 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted December 4 2020 - 9:26 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

beautiful ants! i love their coloration!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#7 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 4 2020 - 2:49 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Is there a noticeable brownish gold stripe now the center of the gaster? If so then this may be Brisbanensis. Ammon just has a thick darker band going down the middle.

#8 Offline Vulgaris - Posted December 9 2020 - 1:57 AM

Vulgaris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Polyrhachis tend to be polygynous. If you're seeing only queens and no workers, these are likely queens working together to found. I'd keep them together and just keep a close eye out for aggression, and if you notice any then split them up. The winged ones are likely infertile and just using their resources to help the other queens, but it's not impossible that they are fertile and just decided not to shed their wings. Lovely species too!

No aggression yet but they have all been working tirelessly over the past week to pull the cotton stoppers out!

#9 Offline Vulgaris - Posted December 9 2020 - 1:58 AM

Vulgaris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Is there a noticeable brownish gold stripe now the center of the gaster? If so then this may be Brisbanensis. Ammon just has a thick darker band going down the middle.

It's pretty hard for me to tell. They are located near Sydney NSW 

#10 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted December 9 2020 - 2:17 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I remember when I lived in Sydney seeing these ants.  Unfortunately at that time I was not into ants as I am now.  

Edited by PurdueEntomology, December 9 2020 - 2:18 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#11 Offline Vulgaris - Posted August 2 2021 - 10:05 PM

Vulgaris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Well guys after eight months they have not laid any eggs. I recently discovered they like to sit in the sun though, and are not too keen on being kept in the dark 24/7 like some other ants.

Attached Images

• IMG_9338.JPG

Edited by Vulgaris, August 2 2021 - 10:06 PM.

#12 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted August 2 2021 - 11:47 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

uhhh you need to feed them and give them an outworld cuz all spiny ants are semi claustral. give them proteins like cut up mealworms and sweets like honey.

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#13 Offline Vulgaris - Posted August 4 2021 - 9:38 PM

Vulgaris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Yeah I have fed them consistently inside the tubes, they have one tube as an outchamber but no larger foraging arena 

#14 Offline bradscatch22 - Posted August 11 2021 - 3:43 AM

bradscatch22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

My Polyrhachis founding queens have just all started laying and having their first generation of workers last few weeks after no activity since summer. They've been kept in a 22 deg C room the entire time. Some with outworlds and some not. I guess the warming weather and the approaching spring is what has got them started. I'm in Canberra. Good luck!

Personally, I wouldn't be keeping them all together in a single tube, but I'm not sure if it is possible with this species, I haven't tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users