• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Bicarinatum Queen Hunting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 3 2022 - 12:32 AM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

At my new school there were some colonies of Tetramroium bicarinatum. I did some research into the species and found out that they inbreed. So over the last few months I've been looking for queens, and it's winter now and I haven't had any luck yet.

So I have some questions about how T. bicarinatum nuptial flights work:

1. Do they even have nuptial flights, or do they split by budding?

2. If they do have nuptial flights, when do queens fly?

3. If I found an established colony (the ones at school were small and have since died out) would there be queens outside the nest, foraging in trails? I've seen this in captive colonies.

Once I get my hands on this species I'm gonna set up a big AntsScandinavia Messor barbarus style setup (cos we don't talk about AntsCanada) and I could probably even keep Dorylines if I wanted to, because T. bicarinatum colonies grow so fast I could just put a test tube in their outworld and feed it to the Dorylines and they're invasive.

Thanks,

Leptomyrmx

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 3 2022 - 8:42 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Tetramorium bicarinatum have nuptial flights, although they usually reproduce by inbreeding and budding. I would recommend trying to get an established colony because of this.
  • Antkeeper01 and Leptomyrmx like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users