• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worker ID, Placerita, CA

Best Answer kellakk , June 30 2015 - 9:40 PM

Veromessor andrei.  Apparently they're flying in the early mornings up in northern CA.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 30 2015 - 9:37 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

1. Location of collection: Placerita Cyn Park, inside nest at edge of dirt path and beneath rock.
2. Date of collection: 6/28/2015 10am
3. Habitat of collection: chaparral

4. Length (from head to gaster): 6mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: dark chocolate brown with crimson shades, nearly black, darker gaster
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Postpetiole. Dual Mohawk along face which is lined. 12 segment antenna.
7. Anything else distinctive: Nest was inactive and there was a beetle found among them.  Outside the nest was a mess of debris and antibody parts.  They seemed completely inactive until I moved the stone covering their entrance.
8. Nest description: edge of dirt path and beneath rock

GPS Altitude:501.5 m
GPS Latitude:34° 22' 43.665" N
GPS Lat (Dec):34.3788
GPS Longitude: 118° 27' 59.358" W
GPS Long (Dec):-118.4665

PossibleVeromessorProfile
PossibleVeromessorFace2
PossibleVeromessorFace

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted June 30 2015 - 9:40 PM   Best Answer

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Veromessor andrei.  Apparently they're flying in the early mornings up in northern CA.

• PTAntFan likes this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline PTAntFan - Posted June 30 2015 - 9:53 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

@FooGoo  you see this?

• Foogoo likes this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#4 Offline Alza - Posted June 30 2015 - 10:31 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I agree with kell 

#5 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 1 2015 - 7:29 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

@PTAntFan: Yes, thanks for keeping an eye out! I'll let you know closer to the weekend but I'm tentatively planning on heading up there Saturday morning if you'd like to join. Maybe by some stroke of luck they'll just so happen to fly...

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 1 2015 - 8:58 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

This one is definitely solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users