• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Legendary Atta Mexicana - It doesn't get any bigger than this ;)

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Luke_in_AZ - Posted August 22 2021 - 3:19 PM

Luke_in_AZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationGilbert, Arizona

Apparently founding Atta Mexicana queens is almost as hard as catching them.  I'm down to 58% of the queens left.

This queen is doing great but starting to grow mold on her wings so I took the recommendation of  mmcguffi and removed her larger top wings yesterday.  They came off easily and she looks happy today.  :)

Have you ever heard an ant make noises?  Whenever you pickup or mess with these queens they make a chirping, squeaking kind of sound.  Surprised me. 

Attached Images

• 20210821_165858.jpg
  • 20210821_170057.jpg

Edited by Luke_in_AZ, August 22 2021 - 7:44 PM.

• mmcguffi, AnthonyP163, SoySauce and 6 others like this

#62 Online KadinB - Posted August 22 2021 - 3:34 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Could you get a video of the queen chirping pls? I would love to hear it and it would be very interesting. 

• SoySauce, Luke_in_AZ, Antkeeper01 and 3 others like this

#63 Offline antgallery - Posted August 22 2021 - 5:36 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Apparently founding Atta Mexicana queens is almost as hard as catching them.  I'm down to 58% of the queens left.

This queen is doing great but starting to grow mold on her wings so I took the recommendation of  mmcguffi and removed her larger top wings yesterday.  They came off easily and she is looks happy today.  :)

Have you ever heard an ant make noises?  Whenever you pickup or mess with these queens they make a chirping, squeaking kind of sound.  Surprised me. 

I have found P. Occidentalis chirp or make some kind of noise like that. It might have been a fluke though because I've only had one colony, but still.... makes you wonder.

• Luke_in_AZ, Antkeeper01, KadinB and 3 others like this

#64 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 22 2021 - 6:35 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Acromyrmex make a bunch of noise. I’ll randomly here noises in the night. It’s terrifying.

• Luke_in_AZ, KadinB, Moonant01 and 5 others like this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#65 Offline Luke_in_AZ - Posted August 22 2021 - 7:52 PM

Luke_in_AZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Could you get a video of the queen chirping pls? I would love to hear it and it would be very interesting. 

That's a great idea!  Ok, I'll try.  lol

• KadinB, eea and Arachnids like this

#66 Online KadinB - Posted August 22 2021 - 7:52 PM

KadinB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

That's a great idea! Ok, I'll try. lol
thank you!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Luke_in_AZ and eea like this

#67 Offline Cephalotus - Posted August 22 2021 - 9:48 PM

Cephalotus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Yup, it's called stridulation! Many larger ants such as atta and neoponera will do it.

• SoySauce, Luke_in_AZ, TestSubjectOne and 2 others like this

#68 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted August 23 2021 - 4:26 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I've had my pogonomyrmex and leptothorax do it

• Luke_in_AZ and KadinB like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#69 Offline antgallery - Posted August 23 2021 - 5:03 PM

antgallery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationTroy, MO

Yup, it's called stridulation! Many larger ants such as atta and neoponera will do it.

Wow! The more you know.

• Luke_in_AZ likes this

#70 Offline TexTech - Posted August 23 2021 - 5:10 PM

TexTech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, TX

This queen is doing great but starting to grow mold on her wings so I took the recommendation of  mmcguffi and removed her larger top wings yesterday.  They came off easily and she looks happy today.  :)

Did you catch these queens in August??
  • Luke_in_AZ and antsinvirgina like this
Keeping:
Cephalotes texanus-1
Neoponera villosa-1
Myrmecocystus mexicanus-1
Atta texana-4
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis-1
Pogonomyrmex barbatus-1

#71 Offline Luke_in_AZ - Posted August 23 2021 - 9:49 PM

Luke_in_AZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
I caught them on July 31st. Makes it easy to keep track of days. 23 days as of today.
  • ZTYguy likes this

#72 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 23 2021 - 10:44 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Was there any previous rain? If so how many days prior.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#73 Offline Luke_in_AZ - Posted August 25 2021 - 10:49 AM

Luke_in_AZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Lots of eggs!  Here is an update today on a few queens and their eggs.

Queen 120210825_111136.jpg

Queen 220210825_111020.jpg

Queen 320210825_111259.jpg 20210825_111319.jpg 20210825_111324.jpg

Queen 420210825_111359.jpg 20210825_111401.jpg 20210825_111409.jpg

• SoySauce, B_rad0806, Antkeeper01 and 3 others like this

#74 Offline SoySauce - Posted August 25 2021 - 10:56 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Woah that is a crazy amount of eggs! Fingers crossed they all hatch!!! What are you doing with the fungus and eggs of the queens that die?
  • Luke_in_AZ and KadinB like this

#75 Offline Luke_in_AZ - Posted August 25 2021 - 8:23 PM

Luke_in_AZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Sometimes I give it to other queens but they most often don't accept it.  They're really picky.  Recently I've been giving it to my Acromyrmex versicolor just to see if they would take it.  They've accepted the fungus if it's in "good" condition only.  They throw out the eggs.  I was thinking they might eat them but nope!  Only fungus food for them I guess. 

• SoySauce, Antkeeper01 and ZTYguy like this

#76 Offline Luke_in_AZ - Posted September 5 2021 - 8:33 PM

Luke_in_AZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
Well, however unlikely I've confirmed a few times that Acromyrmex versicolor will not accept Atta mexicana eggs. I was really hoping so though because that would have been awesome.

Attached Images

• 20210905_212633.jpg
  • 20210905_212621.jpg

• SoySauce, B_rad0806, Antkeeper01 and 4 others like this

#77 Offline Moonant01 - Posted September 19 2021 - 6:19 PM

Moonant01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Update?

• Luke_in_AZ likes this

#78 Offline futurebird - Posted September 19 2021 - 6:34 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

This queen is doing great but starting to grow mold on her wings so I took the recommendation of  mmcguffi and removed her larger top wings yesterday.  They came off easily and she is looks happy today.  :)

I have found P. Occidentalis chirp or make some kind of noise like that. It might have been a fluke though because I've only had one colony, but still.... makes you wonder.

I grabbed a membrane microphone that someone was throwing out a few months back thinking "maybe I'll try to record ant sounds" knowing that my Pogonomyrmex might make noise isn't that surprising to me. They are so damn frantic. 

I did a bunch of research on "how to record insect sounds" and you can use a guitar pick up... but ideally you need to isolate the nest from outside sounds... so move it into a closet maybe? 

I'm now motivated to get working on this project again. Guitar pick ups ("membrane microphones" aren't that expensive... the more tricky thing is if you have something to plug it in to ... My camera should work...)

Also... AMAZING work removing those moldy wings. You are doing a great job and I know the deaths really hurt even though "it's just bugs" ... I bet you are learning a lot about what works and will help others be more successful in the future.  Thanks for the great posts and images. I love it. 

• Luke_in_AZ, Moonant01 and antgallery like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#79 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted October 8 2021 - 10:36 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I just realised I was reading a journal that wasn't 4 years old...

A very fun to read journal. I'm very jealous of the leafcutter ants you have in the US... oh well... at least my state has twice the amount of species than in any state in the over there-  :lol:

I really wanna hear ant sounds now.

• Luke_in_AZ, Antkeeper01 and KadinB like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#80 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 9 2021 - 2:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I just realised I was reading a journal that wasn't 4 years old...
A very fun to read journal. I'm very jealous of the leafcutter ants you have in the US... oh well... at least my state has twice the amount of species than in any state in the over there- :lol:
I really wanna hear ant sounds now.

By being Australian, you kind of forego your right to be jealous of anybody else’s ants.
  • Luke_in_AZ, Antkeeper01 and Leptomyrmx like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users