• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Questions on Solenopsis xyloni

solenopsis xyloni questions antkeeping

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 2 2021 - 6:14 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

So I have found a queen of this species and I wanted to know some things about them.

1) Can their growth be limited by food intake and temperature? I do not want a gigantic colony of fire ants, but I still want them.

2) I've read that they will basically eat anything, but do they have any preferred foods?

3) Lastly, how effective is fluon at keeping them in their nest, and is THA sutiable? If so, should I get THA nests designed for tiny species?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted August 2 2021 - 8:42 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I don’t have a lot of experience but my unheated xyloni colony is growing and developing much slower than the heated ones, so I would say temperature does play a role in colony growth. 

• Kaelwizard and yaboiseth like this

My YouTube channel :)

#3 Offline yaboiseth - Posted August 2 2021 - 8:43 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

1. Yes they sure can. Keep them off heat and less protein and they'll grow slower. At least from what I have seen lol.

2. Mine absolutely love fruit flies and mealworms. As for sugars I'm not sure as I only give sunburst.

3. Fluon is actually pretty effective at containing them, and THA is acceptable just make sure to inform Mack that they are fire ants. Use small-tiny sized nests.

• Kaelwizard likes this

#4 Offline yaboiseth - Posted August 2 2021 - 8:46 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

I had mine on heat for a month and their brood pile like tripled, from like 50+ to about 100-150+ countable larvae and pupae lol. Heat plays a huge role in their growth.

• Kaelwizard and Swirlysnowflake like this

#5 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted August 2 2021 - 11:43 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Thank you both. I might just heat my queen during the founding stage but take her off heat once she gets workers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis, xyloni, questions, antkeeping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users