• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Baby Powder Poisonous?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline DerpyTurtle - Posted August 2 2021 - 11:16 AM

DerpyTurtle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So i was getting this brand of baby powder and i noticed it said it had added 'fragrance' with it, worried it would cause unwanted effects on my young colony i grabbed a pair of weaver ants from a large wild colony to test it on, left them in a box with the baby powder barrier(made with isopropyl alcohol+the powder) applied and saw they all died by tomorrow,

next day repeated experiment again, this time using baby powder mixed with water + gave them cotton ball with water and same thing happened

Is putting too much baby powder what's killing them? or is the powder just bad in general? if it is poisonous to them what brands of baby powder should i look out for?

Edited by DerpyTurtle, August 2 2021 - 11:19 AM.

#2 Offline MysticNanitic - Posted August 2 2021 - 9:39 PM

MysticNanitic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationLa Verne, California
How much are you using? Is it getting all over the place? Try not to inhale it yourself. The idea is to apply a strip along the inner edge of your opening with wet talcum powder, usually suspended in alcohol, and letting it dry. In a related post today a member notes he applies it dry and it’s worked for him fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users