• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Acromyrmex substrate

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline yaboiseth - Posted August 3 2021 - 7:18 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA
Finally getting my hands on an Acromyrmex colony ;) I have a few ingredients down for the substrate but now I need to ask, what specific kind of fish food should I try and also where to get rose petals that aren't sprayed with any pesticide and fungicide. Thanks yall! Probably planning on doing my first ever journal on them too!
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 3 2021 - 8:55 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
I would suggest to start off with getting clovers from a park and ask your local nursery if they spray their plant. I suggest that
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline ExponentMars - Posted August 3 2021 - 9:21 AM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

where u gonna get the fungus for them? 

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Crematogaster sp., Camponotus Ca02, Tetramorium Immigrans
Wishlist: 
Acromyrmex, novos, Pogonomyrmex, Formica, and Lasius

#4 Offline ExponentMars - Posted August 3 2021 - 9:23 AM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

cuz I want Acromyrmex as well, but don't know where to get the fungus

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Wishlist: 

#5 Offline yaboiseth - Posted August 3 2021 - 9:43 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA
Luckily, these ones already have fungus. Nice size too. And I'll check out my parks but I'm a little worried about pesticides

#6 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 3 2021 - 10:36 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Honestly, don't give them fish food. I've heard of it being accepted but I don't trust it. Offer flowers and desert plants, that's what they're meant to eat. The only "artificial" food I offer my fungus growers is steel-cut oats. I also never understood making a "substrate", having a mix of plants offered all at once isn't usually ideal, offering one type of plant at a time on a rotation has a much better feeding response in my opinion. My Acromyrmex's favorite food is texas sage flowers, fresh or dried. They also accept mesquite leaves, palo verde flowers, steel-cut oats, creosote leaves, and various other flowers. They typically like flowers more than leaves.

• Mdrogun, Antkeeper01, cap_backfire and 1 other like this

#7 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 3 2021 - 10:37 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
I don’t use flakes anymore cause some of them have pesticides in them
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#8 Offline yaboiseth - Posted August 3 2021 - 10:58 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA
I was actually really hoping you would comment Cheeto, as you have the most successful leaf cutters I've seen lol. I do have organic oats, don't know if they're steel cut though, and Ill avoid fish food. Any idea how I could aquire all said flowers and leaves? I don't live too close to desert fauna. And I was pretty much using "substrate" as a blanket term for fungus food lol. I plan on feeding one item at a time to see what particular interests mine have.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#9 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 3 2021 - 11:06 AM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

I was actually really hoping you would comment Cheeto, as you have the most successful leaf cutters I've seen lol. I do have organic oats, don't know if they're steel cut though, and Ill avoid fish food. Any idea how I could aquire all said flowers and leaves? I don't live too close to desert fauna. And I was pretty much using "substrate" as a blanket term for fungus food lol. I plan on feeding one item at a time to see what particular interests mine have.

Honestly a lot of times exotic plants are better for leafcutters, although I've found that to be more true with Atta than Acromyrmex. Native plants have certain defense mechanisms against the ants that make them harder to eat (and is one reason why Acromyrmex "treat" their plants by letting them dry out in the sun before using them for the fungus. Unfortunately your local plant fauna won't be the same as mine, so it'll be sort of trial-and-error for you to find out what plants they like. That's what I had to do when I first started with them.

Other oats also work but generally steel-cut are preferred, for whatever reason. I've also heard of cream of rice being accepted but have not tried it.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#10 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 3 2021 - 11:45 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Honestly a lot of times exotic plants are better for leafcutters, although I've found that to be more true with Atta than Acromyrmex. Native plants have certain defense mechanisms against the ants that make them harder to eat (and is one reason why Acromyrmex "treat" their plants by letting them dry out in the sun before using them for the fungus. Unfortunately your local plant fauna won't be the same as mine, so it'll be sort of trial-and-error for you to find out what plants they like. That's what I had to do when I first started with them.

Other oats also work but generally steel-cut are preferred, for whatever reason. I've also heard of cream of rice being accepted but have not tried it.

Can feeding the wrong plant kill them/the funugs?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#11 Offline mmcguffi - Posted August 3 2021 - 1:03 PM

mmcguffi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

I use these rose petals for my Atta and they accept them just fine with no ill effects: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That said, they MUCH prefer rose petals I collect myself and sun dry -- "knockout roses" are planted everywhere where I live and also have a ton of blooms all year long. You have to be sure that they aren't sprayed with insecticides/fungicides though. Instead of foraging for them, you can buy these roses at almost any plant nursery for ~$20 for a small/medium plant

• Mettcollsuss likes this

#12 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 3 2021 - 3:48 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Some foods my Trachymyrmex septentrionalis (not Acromyrmex but some information likely carries over) have enjoyed are

• rose flowers
  • peony flowers
  • steel-cut oats
  • white clover (Trifolium repens) leaves and flowers
  • woodsorrel (Oxalis)
  • fresh fruits, except for citrus

Edited by Mettcollsuss, August 3 2021 - 3:49 PM.

• mmcguffi and CheetoLord02 like this

#13 Offline ExponentMars - Posted August 4 2021 - 8:30 AM

ExponentMars

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

do Quaker Oats work and also where can I get my hands on mesquite leaves, dried Texas Sage flowers, etc. online? 

Ants, gaming
Currently Keeping: 
Wishlist: 

#14 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 4 2021 - 9:46 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I've used fish pellets for a long time. There are no problems with them.

#15 Offline M_Ants - Posted August 4 2021 - 9:49 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Some foods my Trachymyrmex septentrionalis (not Acromyrmex but some information likely carries over) have enjoyed are

• rose flowers
  • peony flowers
  • steel-cut oats
  • white clover (Trifolium repens) leaves and flowers
  • woodsorrel (Oxalis)
  • fresh fruits, except for citrus

Any reason why you say steel cut oats instead of rolled oats? 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#16 Offline yaboiseth - Posted August 4 2021 - 9:50 AM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

I've used fish pellets for a long time. There are no problems with them.

What kind do you use?

#17 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 4 2021 - 9:54 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Steel cut oats were the ones I had recommended to me, so when I was buying food for them I figured I would give them a shot. Before I got the steel-cut oats, they had some rolled oats left in their outworld from their previous owner that they would largely ignore. I also gave them some of my own rolled oats that were also largely ignored. I'm honestly not sure why the ants have a preference, but they evidently do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users