• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best non-DIY Formicariums?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline zA-Z0-9 - Posted August 15 2021 - 11:08 AM

zA-Z0-9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Locationraymondville mo

Aside from Tarheel ants nests though, as they can get pretty expensive with the larger nests.

Great quality for a good price:
-Foranto
-Aus ants
-Some Etsy nests
-Drew's Dirt Boxes

-I would not recommend Ant Shack, or any other 3-d printed formicarium sellers. These nests are often overpriced, and ants usually prefer more natural materials anyways.
I 2nd this

i 3rd that  :D

I LOVE ANTS!!!!

#22 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted August 18 2021 - 6:17 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Aside from Tarheel ants nests though, as they can get pretty expensive with the larger nests.

Great quality for a good price:
-Foranto
-Aus ants
-Some Etsy nests
-Drew's Dirt Boxes

-I would not recommend Ant Shack, or any other 3-d printed formicarium sellers. These nests are often overpriced, and ants usually prefer more natural materials anyways.
I 2nd this
i 3rd that :D
might as well start a new oneπŸ˜…
I 4th this:)
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#23 Offline gs5248 - Posted August 20 2021 - 9:07 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I think that other than THA, aus ants is pretty decent for the acrylic nests. 

#24 Offline voylin - Posted August 20 2021 - 12:40 PM

voylin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
What do you guys think of Aliexpress? I hear sone people are very happy with it and other people are avoiding them like the pest.

#25 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted August 20 2021 - 3:24 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

What do you guys think of Aliexpress? I hear sone people are very happy with it and other people are avoiding them like the pest.

well it's kinda like an ebay type of thing (I think, don't take me for granted)

#26 Offline futurebird - Posted August 21 2021 - 1:35 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Aliexpress has nests of all qualities. Some are TERRIBLE ....some are excellent. As far as I can tell antkeeping is popular in China and other countries in that region so they have some innovative products. But, your best bet is to post a link here and ask if anyone has bought the nest you are curious about before...

I've mostly been very happy with my purchases. But it's coming all the way from China so, if you need it in a timely fashion aliexpress isn't for you. 

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#27 Offline voylin - Posted August 21 2021 - 3:46 PM

voylin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Aliexpress has nests of all qualities. Some are TERRIBLE ....some are excellent. As far as I can tell antkeeping is popular in China and other countries in that region so they have some innovative products. But, your best bet is to post a link here and ask if anyone has bought the nest you are curious about before...

I've mostly been very happy with my purchases. But it's coming all the way from China so, if you need it in a timely fashion aliexpress isn't for you.
Well Japan is close to China, do I may have an advantage of living closeby. Thanks for your input 😊

Edited by voylin, August 21 2021 - 3:47 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#28 Offline Domagoj - Posted August 22 2021 - 10:09 AM

Domagoj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Zagreb

I've spent more money on Aliexpress than I'd like to think about, and I can't think of any situation where there was an issue (unlike wish.com, which should be entirely avoided). All the purchases were fine. Shipping is slow unless you opt for UPS/DHL.

That being said, it speaks nothing of the formicariums themselves, which I would guess are dependent on design, not marketplace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users