• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for some info on vinyl tubing

vinyl tubing tubing tunnels vinyl

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drawpositive - Posted July 28 2021 - 7:38 AM

drawpositive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDelaware

I don't have any ant colonies in formicaria yet (they are all still in the founding stage, in test tubes).  However, I have noticed that regardless of the formicaria that is used (AntsCanada, AntsAustralia, TarHeelAnts, etc.) vinyl tubing of some sort is often incorporated in the connection of different areas --nest, outworld, watering area, etc.  

I am wondering "is there a standard vinyl tubing size that is most often used across the entire anting hobby?"  I understand that some people may say it depends on the size of ant you are keeping.  BUT, is there a generally accepted/common size that is most often used?

#2 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 28 2021 - 8:34 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I don’t this there is a standard but rather a range of 1/4”, 3/8”, and 1/2”. I know Tar Heel Ants specifies these size options for attachment ports to their formicaria and outworlds. Perhaps considering the size of the species you’ve captured can best inform your choice. 

• drawpositive likes this

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 28 2021 - 10:32 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
I think generally 3/8”, but like ConcordAntman said, 1/4” and 1/2” are also used sometimes.
  • drawpositive likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vinyl tubing, tubing, tunnels, vinyl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users