• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bioactivity with Ants

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 29 2021 - 7:01 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

So I am a big proponent of bioactivity with all my enclosures and I try to mimic SOME semblance of nature in all my setups.   This includes keeping as many detrivores as possible with them (well, I don't cram it, but I mean different levels).   
In my large vivarium I keep isopods (3 species for variety), springtails, tiny snails, predatory mights (for fungus gnats and potential mite infestations), local millipedes and so far that's it.   This is with my Campnotus discolor.   

My Trachymyrmex has springtails, a few isopods and now predatory mites to gobble up the springtail babies to decimate their population, which to be honest, I didn't know would be a problem for the fungus.   In hindsight it is pretty obvious.  I put them in there to manage any mold, not thinking they would take a toll on the fungus.   I still support the idea, but I should have started with a way smaller population.  My INTENTIONS were good.   

All my jumping spiders (5) have one millipede and springtails to help clean up messes.   

I also try to put "living soil" in their containers, which is soil mixed with quite a few other things to promote bioactivity on a microscopic scale as well (the trachy's are in mostly sand, with two large soil "pockets" which they have ultimately chosen for their nests).   I feel like this not only enhances their enclosure, making it closer to what they might have in nature, and offers them an occasional food source as they Do cull the springtails and some of those tiny snails.   This helps me with maintenance and cleaning up so MUCH garbage the ants might make, making their keeping easier.   I simply feed the ants too much on purpose, spread around leaf litter, and offer supplemental food to the isopods.   

As a proponent of bioactivity, what are your thoughts?   (I have even kept springtails in their premade formicariums or "tubs and tubes" setups.   Springtails can basically live anywhere). .   

• ConcordAntman, Kaelwizard and DDD101DDD like this

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 30 2021 - 8:47 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
If I could do this, I would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, my parents don’t like the idea of having many terrariums, but they are fine with THA nests. I really got into the idea after watching SerpaDesign on YouTube.

Edited by Kaelwizard, July 30 2021 - 8:49 AM.

#3 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 30 2021 - 9:11 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Well to be fair all I would add to a THA nest would be springtails.   I feel like they are fundamentally important to ant nests (granted I've only been in the hobby about 5 months or so) as garbage disposals and mold preventatives.   IN the THA setups the ants are visible enough that having lumbering isopods isn't really needed as the ants are entertaining enough.   You CAN get smaller species like white dwarfs that you could just introduce to your THA setups and they would coexist pretty well with your ants (Or offer nice little snacks).   

Serpa is so awesome.   

• Kaelwizard and DaAnt like this

#4 Offline GreekAnts - Posted July 30 2021 - 9:19 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Where you can find isopods? I want to put some in a setup I made but I can't find them anywhere outside and I don't like the idea of buying them online.

#5 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted July 30 2021 - 9:35 AM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Where you can find isopods? I want to put some in a setup I made but I can't find them anywhere outside and I don't like the idea of buying them online.

Try checking underneath rocks or decaying plant matter. And although I can't speak for Athens specifically, if I remember correctly Greece has some of the coolest isopods around, so best of luck when it comes to finding some.

• cap_backfire and GreekAnts like this

#6 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 30 2021 - 9:42 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

You are 100% right that Greece has some of the coolest isopods around!   I'm super jealous because your colonies would only be enhanced by using those beautiful beasties in your setups.   

Yeah I literally set up a "trap" in my garden where I piled up leaves, cut up weeds, and pieces of bark and made sure I kept that area wet.   It will attract isopods, springtails, earwigs, millipedes and possibly termites-most of which you can feed your ants or use for clean up crew.   If that doesn't work, hit a local forest and look in areas that are naturally like the "trap" i mentioned.   

Note:  I also bait the trap with a bit of squash or carrot.   Apple seems to work well here as well.   

Happy hunting!  

• GreekAnts likes this

#7 Offline GreekAnts - Posted July 30 2021 - 10:19 AM

GreekAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAthens, Greece

Thanks for the info! ,I have tried to look in a forest like park but it seems its dry there and I didn't manage to find anything (I checked in rotting wood and under rocks, even on the ground)
I will try to search on another park that it has some grass and they water it, and if I am able to do it,I am thinking of placing a slice of potato there and come back the next day to collect it (with hopefully a lot of isopods on it).

• cap_backfire likes this

#8 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 30 2021 - 10:50 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Great idea!   Even in your own yard, keep an area damp and they'll show up.  Odds are very high they're just burrowed down enough to retain the moisture they need for now.   Good luck!  Nothing better than cool, free bugs! 

• GreekAnts likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users