• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Monomorium? -Los Angeles, CA

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted July 12 2021 - 8:51 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

1. Location (on a map) of collection: Los Angeles, CA
2. Date of collection: July 10 
3. Habitat of collection: Indoors, on a hardwood floor
4. Length (from head to gaster): 5 mm
5. Color, hue, pattern and texture: Brown-black, striped gaster, 2 petiole nodes (Monomorium???)
6. Distinguishing characteristics: None 
7. Distinguishing behavior: None
8. Nest description: None
9. Nuptial flight time and date: None

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 9.37.56 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 9.39.14 AM.png
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 9.38.28 AM.png

Edited by PetsNotPests, July 12 2021 - 8:54 AM.

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 12 2021 - 9:27 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Looks like Monomorium alright. Nice find.
  • PetsNotPests likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 12 2021 - 9:27 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Does the antennal club have 2 segments? If so it is Solenopsis truncorum. 5mm is rather large though, possibly remeasure?

• TestSubjectOne likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted July 12 2021 - 9:46 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Does the antennal club have 2 segments? If so it is Solenopsis truncorum. 5mm is rather large though, possibly remeasure?

4.5-5mm is her exact measurement, and along with dual nodes, i'd say Monomorium.

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Solenopsis spp. 

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 12 2021 - 9:56 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Check the antennal clubs please. All Myrmicines have a post-petiole by the way. Its not a trait specific to Monomorium.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted July 12 2021 - 10:04 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Check the antennal clubs please. All Myrmicines have a post-petiole by the way. Its not a trait specific to Monomorium.

I know. The nodes are much more pronounced than say a S. molesta queen though. From what I can tell, there's nothing out of the ordinary about her antennae ether. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Solenopsis spp. 

#7 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 12 2021 - 10:25 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Its not going to look out of the ordinary. Its just a matter of segments, and you have to look under decent magnification to see it(the magnification shown in your images would be enough if the clubs were in focus). Its by far the easiest and most reliable way to distinguish the two.

#8 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 12 2021 - 3:44 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Solenopsis truncorum, Monomorium queens along the coastal areas typically do not have wings. That looks like a two segmented club.

• NickAnter and TestSubjectOne like this

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 12 2021 - 5:22 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

Solenopsis truncorum, Monomorium queens along the coastal areas typically do not have wings. That looks like a two segmented club.

that species doesn’t exist, and there is no way this is a solenopsis carolinensis queen (the species it is a synonym of)

#10 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 12 2021 - 6:07 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

It clearly does exist. Just because some myrmecologist decided to ignorantly synonymize it, does not completely remove its valididty. Solenopsis truncorum flies from 3-6pm, compared to carolinensis, which flies in the dark hours of the morning. Furthermore, truncorum queens and males are black, considerably different than those of carolinensis.

• TestSubjectOne and Antkeeper01 like this

#11 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 12 2021 - 6:14 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

It clearly does exist. Just because some myrmecologist decided to ignorantly synonymize it, does not completely remove its valididty. Solenopsis truncorum flies from 3-6pm, compared to carolinensis, which flies in the dark hours of the morning. Furthermore, truncorum queens and males are black, considerably different than those of carolinensis.

i also can’t find any literature about this species, which confuses me.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#12 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 12 2021 - 6:18 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Its because to my knowledge it wasnt really studied. I have studied the species as extensively as I can, but unfortunately, its very difficult to ID molesta group workers in the field, so it makes colony observation, aside from nuptial flights, rather difficult. I have what I believe are 3 fertile queens (2 for sure) and I am hopeful that I will be able to better study the species in captivity, after my past failures with the species.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#13 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 13 2021 - 4:06 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Who placed it in synonomy?

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#14 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 13 2021 - 4:16 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I can't seem to find that out, its something that's been irking me for some time, especially considering the erroneous nature of the synonymization.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#15 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 14 2021 - 1:58 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

S. truncorum was synonymized with carolinensis in Pacheco & Mackay, 2013. The Systematics and Biology of the New World Thief Ants of the genus Solenopsis (Hymenoptera: Formicidae):

"Forel (1901) separated the workers S. texana race truncorum from the S. texana race carolinensis by the lighter color, smaller size, shorter scapes and a narrower petiole. Direct comparison and measurement demonstrates that they are both similar in coloration, approximately equal in size, the scapes are actually slightly longer in S. truncorum and the petiole is equal in length. The females are apparently identical, although only the female from the type series of S. truncorum was available for study. Thus, S. texana truncorum is proposed as a junior synonym of S. carolinensis."

The type series of S. truncorum was collected in North Carolina. This paper also claims that Solenopsis validiuscula (a western species) has been falsely called S. truncorum in several pieces of literature since 1950, which I think could've possibly led to this eastern US taxon becoming something thought to occur in western states even if it doesn't. I can't find any literature relating to S. truncorum after this 2013 revision.

Luckily, AntWeb has a type specimen of a S. truncorum queen imaged in their database: CASENT0908856 Solenopsis carolinensis

To me at least, she looks just like the little yellow queens that come to blacklights in the early morning in the southeastern states; head shape, eye size, and ocelli size seem to match up very well. S. validiuscula is a species with larger, brown queens that are similar to S. molesta but have some consistent differences. Considering this, are we sure Californians aren't collecting S. validiuscula instead of S. truncorum?

Edited by Aaron567, July 14 2021 - 2:00 PM.

• Manitobant and Antkeeper01 like this

#16 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 14 2021 - 3:12 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I have seen validiuscula in person, and their queens are extremely bulky, and about 6mm in length. Most truncorum queens are around 3-3.5 from my experience. Also, these workers are tiny... Barely over 1mm long, and a much lighter yellow than validiuscula. Validiuscula are at about 2mm.

That is a video by CheetoLord, which shows a validiuscula queen.

Edited by NickAnter, July 14 2021 - 3:22 PM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#17 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 14 2021 - 3:39 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

It would not shock me to find at some point in the future that the California thing is an undescribed species.  I tend to take any of Mackays work with a rather large grain of salt.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#18 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 14 2021 - 3:44 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I have a queen, worker, and a male if it needs to be described.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#19 Offline gcsnelling - Posted July 14 2021 - 4:19 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Take care of the specimens, it may be some time before there is someone crazy enough to undertake the task.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#20 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 14 2021 - 4:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Currently in 70% ethanol hand sanitizer, with the main other ingredient in the sanitizer being glycerin. Don't have 90% ethanol unfortunately.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users