• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Getting ants to put their trash in one spot.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 11 2021 - 9:02 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

A year or so ago, there was an AMA with Miles in the ants and antkeeping server, and I remember him saying that if you manually put ant colony's trash in a certain area enough, they'll start to do that themselves. I tried that with my Lasius neoniger colony a few weeks ago, and it actually worked(which surprised me). Mine also put trash on sugar water(it'd probably work with normal water too), so you could probably utilize this as a way to make cleaning up easier. It doesn't work with larger pieces of trash though. I don't have a before picture, but this is what my Lasius neoniger outworld looks like now.

In green is the area where their trash used to be, blue is where I put trash in and they moved their trash in that little dish, orange is where their sugar water used to be.

P7111056 LI

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted July 11 2021 - 9:23 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Many ants like to put trash on water or wet things. I don't really know why. My theories are: 

1. It prevents flooding near the nest as puddles are dangerous for ants.
  2. It is a way to hide or save a food source
  3. It prevents water from evaporating as quickly so they can use the source longer

But I really have no idea about the whole "putting trash on the water" thing. 

The green location is probably too close to the nest. Most of my ants put it as far as physically possible from the nest entrance. It's amazing how organized they can be isn't it!

• DDD101DDD likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted July 11 2021 - 11:20 AM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Many ants like to put trash on water or wet things. I don't really know why. My theories are: 

1. It prevents flooding near the nest as puddles are dangerous for ants.
  2. It is a way to hide or save a food source
  3. It prevents water from evaporating as quickly so they can use the source longer

But I really have no idea about the whole "putting trash on the water" thing. 

The green location is probably too close to the nest. Most of my ants put it as far as physically possible from the nest entrance. It's amazing how organized they can be isn't it!

If I had to guess, it would be because they tend to drown quite easily, so they cover it up. And yeah, their organization is pretty nice when picking up trash.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users