• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mikasa's Pogonomyrmex imberbiculus

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Mikasa - Posted July 10 2021 - 5:02 AM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM
I'm going to try a journal on P. imberbiculus partly due to request and partly for my own curiosity. This is a new species to me and the most ridiculously tiny Pogonomyrmex I have ever laid eyes on. Please be patient as this is new to me, I will do my best to keep it updated and provide pictures where I can. Advice and comments pertaining to this species welcome.

6/30/21
Date is accurate to within 1 to 2 days. I collected all of my queens so far in a very short time frame. I found 3 of these queens floating in a puddle mid to late morning the day after some heavy rains. This leads me to believe they fly much earlier in the day than other Pogonomyrmex (possibly even late night or very early morning). But until I find more and notate times more accurately, there's really no way to be sure.

I placed one queen in a test tube set up with a tarheel insert. She has since drown after becoming wedged between the insert and the cotton. Wonderful idea those inserts but so far I have no luck with them.

Two queens went into small round containers with a hydrostone base textured with sand. One shed her wings the other has yet to remove hers. They seem much more capable of climbing smooth sides than their larger cousins. Perhaps this is due to their small size. They are quick but not as quick as a lot of other small species and overall seem mostly calm.
0707211348.jpg
0707211347.jpg
0707211354.jpg

7/8/21
I watered the founding chambers once before with no changes in the two queens. Today I watered again and fed them hummingbird food and a termite each. The queen with wings does not appear to have eggs. However I did notice the wingless queen carrying around a tiny white chunk. I think she has laid a decent little clutch of eggs in the time since she was caught. I do not know when she began to lay but a small amount of eggs would be hard to spot with her. She is absolutely tiny. A termite is easily as big as she is and these are not large termites.
0708211824_HDR.jpg
0708211824a_HDR.jpg

Edited by Mikasa, July 10 2021 - 5:10 AM.

• Kaelwizard, TestSubjectOne, ANTS_KL and 4 others like this

#2 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 10 2021 - 5:13 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Followed the journal! Hope u succeed.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01 and Mikasa like this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#3 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 10 2021 - 5:32 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

can't wait to see what happens next!

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#4 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted July 10 2021 - 6:01 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

Thanks for making this journal, I'm really interested on how this species behaves. From what I understand, this is the first journal on them, so very exited to see how it turns out. What a cool species!  :D  

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#5 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 10 2021 - 6:03 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Awesome, how often do you water and how much water do you do?

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#6 Offline Mikasa - Posted July 10 2021 - 7:26 PM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM
I water every two or three days and I just add a few drops at a time until the hydrostone is moist. The containers are very small so it doesn't take much and I haven't bothered measuring it. Very soon I will have to move the queens if they prove fertile. While I like the little setup, it is inconvenient to me and stressful for them. They don't appreciate me removing the entire top of their nest.
  • AntBoi3030 likes this

#7 Offline Mikasa - Posted July 10 2021 - 7:29 PM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM
I'm debating whether to move them into a vertical nest which will make observations more difficult, or designing a small horizontal nest to be viewed from the top to make observation easier. Whichever way I go, I will use hydrostone and sand. It has been the most successful for me so far over a wide range of species.

#8 Offline futurebird - Posted July 11 2021 - 7:00 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

most Pogonomyrmex are bad at climbing so IDK if vertical nests are that great for them. Unless designed with care. My Pogonomyrmex are so clumsy, they once had a nest where they entered by going down little steps, but they'd just... fall since I think it was easier? I have some funny videos of that.

Their new nest is all on one level. 

I could even probably leave the lid off, but I worry about my cat.  

• Manitobant, Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#9 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 11 2021 - 8:39 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
You could also use those container with a water tower with mesh covering the top and a base of hydrostone so any condensation is absorbed. I’ve made a similar setup and you only have to water it every week.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#10 Offline Mikasa - Posted July 11 2021 - 12:08 PM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM
These Pogonomyrmex are not as clumsy as their larger cousins. You can see in one of the pictures up top that one of the queens is upside down on the lid of a very smooth container. She has no issues and I haven't seen her fall. Regardless I wouldn't put her in a smooth sided vertical if I want that route. Think more along the lines of tarheel formicariums. Plenty rough.

I was thinking of coming up with a horizontal top view nest with a water tower to reduce the amount of interruption to the queen. We shall see. Right now I don't mind the excuse to check in on her. I was advised she is semi claustral so I have to bug her anyway.

Edited by Mikasa, July 11 2021 - 12:08 PM.

• Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

#11 Offline Mikasa - Posted July 14 2021 - 7:07 AM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM
7/14/21
We officially have eggs! You can barely see them next to her. She apparently accepted the termite, it's mostly gone, and has buried the sugar water cotton. I'll clean it up today and offer her more in a few days.
The second queen is likely infertile. She ahs retained her wings and shows no signs or egg laying and seems rather depressed in her actions (not as active or as interested in feeding). I'll hang on to her until she dies or lays but I don't hold out hope.
0714210858~2.jpg
  • NickAnter, Swirlysnowflake, TacticalHandleGaming and 3 others like this

#12 Offline Mikasa - Posted August 26 2021 - 4:46 AM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM

I have moved the one of the queens to a formicarium. She has eggs for certain and at this point I hope she has larvae but she is so ridiculously tiny it is hard to tell for sure. She also guards her brood jealously from prying eyes, gathering them up and running away any time I try to look closely. But she continues to accept food and still seems to be doing well. The other queen has since died. I don't believe she was ever fertile. Hopefully I can find more of this species in the future. I will get updated pictures soon.

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming, AntBoi3030 and 1 other like this

#13 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 28 2021 - 3:01 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Update? Its been quite a while :)

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#14 Offline Mikasa - Posted October 31 2021 - 5:47 AM

Mikasa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArtesia, NM
It has been a while, apologies. Both queens have passed. But I will be keeping my eyes out for more of this queens next season since they are in my area. I will try a different setup to see if I can get them reproducing.
  • Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#15 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted October 31 2021 - 6:06 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

It has been a while, apologies. Both queens have passed. But I will be keeping my eyes out for more of this queens next season since they are in my area. I will try a different setup to see if I can get them reproducing.

Pity. Good luck tho!

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users