• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SYUTEO's ant journal

ant journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#21 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 3 2021 - 2:36 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I don't know if there's any in pic but, Lepisiota cf rothneyi now has bigger majors than before!

• ANTS_KL likes this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#22 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 3 2021 - 5:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Lemons don’t actually work, at least according to ANTdrew.

Yeah, the lemon thing is a myth. That’s like trying to kill a vampire with a mango. What interest would a hemolymph sucking parasite have in fruit??
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 3 2021 - 5:34 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Yeah, the lemon thing is a myth. That’s like trying to kill a vampire with a mango. What interest would a hemolymph sucking parasite have in fruit??

Ok, I'll try to find another way to get the mites off.

#24 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 3 2021 - 7:57 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I think the citric acid or something is supposed to kill them but what’s to guarantee they even come in contact with the lemon?

#25 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 3 2021 - 8:02 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,404 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It might work for trash mites that eat anything. That’s probably how the myth got rolling.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#26 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 3 2021 - 8:26 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Well, this is a rough start for a journal, the Carebara (Oligomyrmex) queen has sadly passed away  :*( . I will preserve her in alcohol.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#27 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 3 2021 - 10:19 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Well, this is a rough start for a journal, the Carebara (Oligomyrmex) queen has sadly passed away :*( . I will preserve her in alcohol.

NOOOOOO :(

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#28 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 4 2021 - 1:34 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Quick update: The Anochetus queen ate a fruit fly I gave her, hopefully we'll expect eggs soon. And I had to move my Camponotus irritans colony to a new test tube because their old one is getting moldy and they are very crowded in there, but they don't seem to be interested in moving yet.

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#29 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 4 2021 - 6:00 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Unfortunately, i had to cancel the Camponotus irritans colony's move because the colony isn't interested in moving yet and the tape holding the two test tubes together had a tiny hole in it which allows air to come but it's too small for the ants to get out but, there are wild Pharoah ants roaming around and the hole is big enough for them to get in, there is also a chance that they can chew through the tape and escape. Though I can use an outworld or something to attach or put the test tubes together, the only one I have left is 'cursed'.

Though there is good news! The Camponotus parius alates finally arrived! It was a female alate (i.e. a virgin queen) she probably eclosed a few minutes to an hour ago as she hasn't learnt how to walk yet. And, the Anochetus queen finally laid eggs! It seems that the fruit fly she ate was the trick (thanks to Kaelwizard for suggesting it), there were approximately 3-6 eggs.

• Kaelwizard likes this

#30 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 4 2021 - 11:39 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Unfortunately, i had to cancel the Camponotus irritans colony's move because the colony isn't interested in moving yet and the tape holding the two test tubes together had a tiny hole in it which allows air to come but it's too small for the ants to get out but, there are wild Pharoah ants roaming around and the hole is big enough for them to get in, there is also a chance that they can chew through the tape and escape. Though I can use an outworld or something to attach or put the test tubes together, the only one I have left is 'cursed'.

Though there is good news! The Camponotus parius alates finally arrived! It was a female alate (i.e. a virgin queen) she probably eclosed a few minutes to an hour ago as she hasn't learnt how to walk yet. And, the Anochetus queen finally laid eggs! It seems that the fruit fly she ate was the trick (thanks to Kaelwizard for suggesting it), there were approximately 3-6 eggs.

Jealousy fills me

• SYUTEO likes this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#31 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 5 2021 - 12:17 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Jealousy fills me

Don't worry, keep looking. You'll eventually find some. Also, queens will occasionally be found under logs, rocks, and other stuff, you just need to get lucky. And that's literally how I managed to find hundreds of trap jaw queens (I didn't catch them all since I don't have enough test tubes).

#32 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 5 2021 - 2:10 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Jealousy fills me

Don't worry, keep looking. You'll eventually find some. Also, queens will occasionally be found under logs, rocks, and other stuff, you just need to get lucky. And that's literally how I managed to find hundreds of trap jaw queens (I didn't catch them all since I don't have enough test tubes).
I do. But the problem is my neighborhood is filled with P. longicornis and A. gracillipes so there are very few ants for me left.

#33 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 5 2021 - 2:24 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Jealousy fills me

I do. But the problem is my neighborhood is filled with P. longicornis and A. gracillipes so there are very few ants for me left.

That's sad. But I have heard that Anoplolepis gracilipes can wipe out all Paratrechina longicornis in their territory.

Quick Update: I noticed that the Camponotus irritans colony also has mites  :( .

Edited by SYUTEO, July 5 2021 - 2:24 AM.

#34 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted July 5 2021 - 2:26 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Jealousy fills me

That's sad. But I have heard that Anoplolepis gracilipes can wipe out all Paratrechina longicornis in their territory.

Quick Update: I noticed that the Camponotus irritans colony also has mites :( .
They coexist which sucks. I think the mites are phoretic.

#35 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 5 2021 - 2:32 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Whaaat!?  :shock:  The two ants can coexist!? Well, I hope that the mites are phoretic.

Edited by SYUTEO, July 5 2021 - 2:39 AM.

#36 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 6 2021 - 11:31 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Here's a pic of an alate of my Camponotus parius colony (I know the pic is blurry because the ants are running around)

gallery_6038_2070_1326.jpeg

• Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#37 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 7 2021 - 6:23 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Well, this is weird, the Camponotus irritans colony ALREADY has majors!  Is it even possible for a Camponotus colony with around 14-16 workers to have majors?

Second update: The Anochetus queen made a chamber for herself, I could still see her but not as easy (because the color of the soil is very similar to the color of the queen (I used that soil because I wanted to see if she has laid eggs, since the eggs are white and the soil is black it makes it very easy to spot any eggs.).). No pics for now as I don't want her to eat the eggs.

Edit: I actually noticed something peculiar, the mites that are on the Camponotus irritans colony only attached on the ants' gaster, head and mandibles but not on the ants' legs, thorax and antennae.

Edited by SYUTEO, July 7 2021 - 11:40 PM.

#38 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 8 2021 - 5:24 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
I have heard of someone getting majors in the first batch of eggs.

#39 Offline SYUTEO - Posted July 8 2021 - 6:18 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

What!? Really!?

#40 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 8 2021 - 6:25 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts

What!? Really!?
It was an American species and this doesn’t normally happen, but yeah majors can come fairly early in Camponotus.
  • Antkeeper01, yibsi and SYUTEO like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users