• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SYUTEO's ant journal

ant journal

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#261 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted January 31 2022 - 6:28 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Why not catch the queens instead. Dummy

lol you calling somone whos been keeping ants since 2018 a dummy?

• ANTS_KL, azzaaazzzz00 and Leptomyrmx like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#262 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 1 2022 - 4:30 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

It's now Chinese new year! (I know I posted this late, my parents are using the computer for the whole day). I'm currently spending my days in my grandparents house but I will update you as soon as I get back.

• ANTdrew and ANTS_KL like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#263 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted February 1 2022 - 5:45 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

It's now Chinese new year! (I know I posted this late, my parents are using the computer for the whole day). I'm currently spending my days in my grandparents house but I will update you as soon as I get back.

Happy Chinese New Year!! I'm enjoying myself eating biscuits

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
  • SYUTEO likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#264 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 1 2022 - 9:36 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
I arrived home, all the queens and colonies are doing fine except for 2, Cremaogaster queen is dying and there is no way I can help her, she may have been attacked by pharaoh ants as I saw a few dead pharaoh ant workers in the test tube. Cf Paratopula queen ate her pupa which is about to eclose.

Here are some good updates.
S. geminata has a major, a small one but still a major. Colobopsis colonies both have more workers and one of the queens is physogastric. O. simillimus has a new worker and a new pupa. Colobopsis leonardi queen laid more eggs. Carebara affinis has a large batch of eggs and possibly some small larvae. Gnamptogenys also could have some small larvae.

Sorry that I didn't get pictures, we only came home for some maintenance and only stayed there for a few minutes.
  • ANTS_KL and PaigeX like this

#265 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 7 2022 - 8:12 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I'm sorry that I kept you waiting, I was going to post the pictures yesterday but I had to go to school and I'm also studying for an exam and I planned to post them when I get back home but then I injured my right arm.  :( I will post them as soon as I can once I get the chance.

• ANTS_KL and PaigeX like this

#266 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted February 8 2022 - 10:50 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I'm sorry that I kept you waiting, I was going to post the pictures yesterday but I had to go to school and I'm also studying for an exam and I planned to post them when I get back home but then I injured my right arm. :( I will post them as soon as I can once I get the chance.

Don't pressure yourself buddy. What matters is your own wellbeing and not some pictures lol

• Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#267 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 10 2022 - 2:52 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I. anceps has been killed by pharaoh ants. T. bicarinatum colony's queen mysteriously died. YCA died. O. simillimus has 7 workers. Anochetus sp1 started to produce alates. Gnamptogenys has at least three confirmed larvae. My dad caught an Oecophylla smaragdina queen yesterday and she already broke off her wings and started to lay eggs. She is currently housed in a glass bottle with wet tissue papers (interestingly she stayed in the darkest part of the bottle which is the entrance) since my dad didn't bring test tubes with him, should I keep her in the bottle or transfer her to a much more suitable setup right now? For now let's look at these pictures of Anochetus feeding.

photo6062176743386624390.jpg

photo6062176743386624389.jpg

I'm sorry that I kept you waiting, I was going to post the pictures yesterday but I had to go to school and I'm also studying for an exam and I planned to post them when I get back home but then I injured my right arm. :( I will post them as soon as I can once I get the chance.

Don't pressure yourself buddy. What matters is your own wellbeing and not some pictures lol

Ok. Anyways, my arm is healing and hopefully I did well on the exam(s).

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#268 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted February 10 2022 - 3:15 AM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I. anceps has been killed by pharaoh ants. T. bicarinatum colony's queen mysteriously died. YCA died. O. simillimus has 7 workers. Anochetus sp1 started to produce alates. Gnamptogenys has at least three confirmed larvae. My dad caught an Oecophylla smaragdina queen yesterday and she already broke off her wings and started to lay eggs. She is currently housed in a glass bottle with wet tissue papers (interestingly she stayed in the darkest part of the bottle which is the entrance) since my dad didn't bring test tubes with him, should I keep her in the bottle or transfer her to a much more suitable setup right now? For now let's look at these pictures of Anochetus feeding.
attachicon.gifphoto6062176743386624390.jpg
attachicon.gifphoto6062176743386624389.jpg

Ok. Anyways, my arm is healing and hopefully I did well on the exam(s).
Keep the oec queen in the bottle. It is probably suitable for the colony to live in long term and you can give them an outworld in the future too. (Anochetus are cute)

• Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this

#269 Offline Idontexist - Posted February 10 2022 - 12:51 PM

Idontexist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I'm starting to hate these pharaoh ants

#270 Online ANTdrew - Posted February 10 2022 - 1:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Put your setups on a tray of water mixed with a bit of vinegar. I also recommend shaking the queen into a test tube before she lays any eggs.
  • Antkeeper01 and SYUTEO like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#271 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 10 2022 - 7:45 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I'm starting to hate these pharaoh ants

I always hated pharaoh ants, the first time they attacked my dubia and turkestan roaches. Then they attacked my mealworms and made several nests around my house, now thhey are trying to invade my ant colonies. They first invaded my M. monomorium and T. destructor/mayri but the ants fend them off. Then my Crematogaster, Iridomyrmex and Coptotermes which they successfully invaded and finally my S. geminata which is probably obvious who won. In case you don't know, S. geminata won. Before pharaoh ants it was the ghost ants that invaded my colonies, though they only succeded in invading one small colony of C. albosparsus.

Put your setups on a tray of water mixed with a bit of vinegar. I also recommend shaking the queen into a test tube before she lays any eggs.

I'll definitely try doing that to the most vulnerable queens and colonies. I just have to hope nothing goes wrong.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#272 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 16 2022 - 3:48 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

O. simillimus has lots of newly hatched larvae.

Gnamptogenys has a fourth confirmed larva.

O. smaragdina has two newly hatched larvae.

• Antkeeper01 and ANTS_KL like this

#273 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 19 2022 - 11:28 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Wow. I'm gone for only ONE night and O. smaragdina is dead! :*( It seems that every O. smaragdina queen I have HATES me.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#274 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 21 2022 - 5:31 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I witnessed the bad thing about Colobopsis, if you kept Colobopsis before then you probably know what I'm talking about. Anyway, Gnamptogenys seemed to have laid a few new eggs and O. simillimus now has nine workers.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#275 Offline SYUTEO - Posted February 22 2022 - 7:18 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ganmptogenys has a pupa and possibly a second.

Interestingly, T. bicarinatum workers are still alive and well even though the queen died, I will try to introduce a new queen to them if I managed to find one. Also one question: can I introduce multiple queens to them? I've heard they are polygynous.

#276 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted February 22 2022 - 9:33 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Interestingly, T. bicarinatum workers are still alive and well even though the queen died, I will try to introduce a new queen to them if I managed to find one. Also one question: can I introduce multiple queens to them? I've heard they are polygynous.

I'm 90% sure they are. They can inbreed apparently, so it seems like they'd use those basically unlimited queens to their advantage.

Evolution can make some questionable choices though, maybe not.

• SYUTEO and ColAnt735 like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#277 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted February 22 2022 - 11:22 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

You could dip her in alcohol to remove the scent or try introducing without any special procedure.

• SYUTEO and Leptomyrmx like this

#278 Offline SYUTEO - Posted March 3 2022 - 11:59 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Lots of mass deaths in almost every colony due to me being away for nearly two weeks. The worst one is probably the Anochetus colony, all their brood except for some eggs and small larvae and nearly half of the workers have died. :( Luckily the queen survived and let's all hope they'll make a quick recovery.

• ANTS_KL likes this

#279 Offline SYUTEO - Posted March 6 2022 - 5:46 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Gnamptogenys has three pupae and she laid a few more eggs.

O. simillimus has 9 workers.

Both Anochetus colonies are doing nicely and both have newly hatched larvae.

• ANTS_KL likes this

#280 Offline NicholasP - Posted March 6 2022 - 6:29 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Why not catch the queens instead. Dummy

Hem hem hem... And now for my grand speech against what you just said... I used to defend you but once I saw your disrespectful comments everything changed. You only have a few months of experience while he has years of experience. Just because Ants Canada did something doesn't mean that it should be done. Like him mixing 7 Camponotus colonies together without many precautions in place if anything went wrong. Pharaoh ants are known to sometimes carry salmonella, staphylococcus, and clostridium. If they were to breach the setup, they have a much easier time at getting into his other colonies without him noticing since they'd probably be closer to his native species which probably wouldn't stand a chance against a big colony of Monomorium pharaonis. Also, you have never kept a single invasive species that you have listed in your journals. Telling someone who has years of experience what to do and especially in a rude manner is not a smart idea as you are having problems keeping your current ants alive.. I want to say nice things about you but your recent comments aren't being nice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ant journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users