• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chickalo's Tetramorium immigrans

tetramorium immigrans tetramorium immigrans chickalo this is useless

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 30 2021 - 8:08 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Hello once again, good people of Formiculture.

A few days ago I was chilling at a beach club in my area.  Suddenly, a small movement caught my eye.  Looking down, oh gosh that's a queen.  Definitely Tetramorium.  I've only ever seen the queens in photos, never new they were that beautiful.  Well RIP they're invasive but you know what I mean.

Well my luck pushed harder (please don't dm me jokes about that sentence on discord) because ANOTHER queen whilst eating dinner!  This time she was caught, and I gave her two days and she layed a small batch of eggs!  I'll try to get photos soon, no promises though.

I was thinking for names for the queen, possible name Athena?  She was the Greek goddess of architecture which kind of makes sense since they're known as pavement ants, but also war, and we all know how much Tetramorium likes to war.  What's great is that I don't have to figure out names for 10+ queens this time.

Until next time,

Chickalo

• Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and AntBoi3030 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#2 Offline Bugging3out - Posted June 30 2021 - 8:15 AM

Bugging3out

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Cool queen I have 2. 1 has lots of larvae. The other one still has eggs. I had this species multiple times they grow in numbers super quick. So don’t keep multiple colonies of this species they can be a lot of work.

• Chickalo and ANTS_KL like this

peace!  :afro:

#3 Offline Chickalo - Posted June 30 2021 - 8:20 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Cool queen I have 2. 1 has lots of larvae. The other one still has eggs. I had this species multiple times they grow in numbers super quick. So don’t keep multiple colonies of this species they can be a lot of work.

I also have heard that.  I would've sold any other colonies for cheap (not sure of any ant keepers in my area who'd want them though...  Could always use them for food experiments lol).  From what I've heard after about 1k workers or so they're a pain to continue feeding, so I'll probably try to limit food and keep their numbers down, however huge colonies do seem appealing...  They are escape artists though so if 1k+ stinging ants escaped into my bedroom...  Lets just say I'd probably be disowned in about 12 hours tops

シグナチャーです。예.

#4 Offline Chickalo - Posted July 1 2021 - 6:56 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
Only go two photos didn’t want to disturb her too much... She already has small larvae! Upside to invasives I guess.
34d25fa7d8c101618bef52fac3fba2bc.jpg
04e9f86f75a14797eab7b246203bd853.jpg
  • AntBoi3030 and m99 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#5 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted July 1 2021 - 8:37 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Good! I thought my queen had burst open from parasites (that happens once it was gross) but she actually just had a ton of larvae :D

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#6 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 1 2021 - 8:45 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
Tetras suck at climbing compared to other species in my experience so I wouldn’t really be too worried.
  • drawpositive likes this

#7 Offline Chickalo - Posted July 19 2021 - 7:58 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Many medium sized larvae now!  For some reason she laid two eggs, wouldn't be surprised if she eats them.  Expecting pupae this week!

• PetsNotPests likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#8 Offline Chickalo - Posted August 5 2021 - 2:59 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

We got workers!  At the moment she only has two, two more expected to come.  The first one is now hardened, and because its a nanitic very small.  Despite its size she is very energtic, often pacing around the cotton and runnig to and fro to the different larvae.  The second one recently eclosed so is a weird yellowish colour and doesn't move as much.

This is when she had her larvae:

0?ui=2&ik=d9d44f8daf&attid=0.3&permmsgid

This is her with her workers:

0?ui=2&ik=d9d44f8daf&attid=0.0&permmsgid

Edited by Chickalo, August 5 2021 - 3:00 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tetramorium immigrans, tetramorium, immigrans, chickalo, this is useless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users