• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Crawdads

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 10 2015 - 6:34 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Don't get me wrong undergravel filters are great. Just not with lots of waste that can't be cleaned properly and frequent enough. The only drawback with undergravel filters is when you clean them you completely disturb the biological layer. But with fish only aquariums I think they are fine. Cleaning a undergravel filter that needs cleaning is quite a undertaking. I like trickle filters the best. Running the most amount of water each hour through the filter is the most important thing IMO.

#42 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 11 2015 - 3:46 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Sadly the female died. The male and other female weren't fighting her at all, I kept a close eye on that. But, she was already injured when I got her and there were tons of birds down at the drying out pond, getting fish and crawdads. I at least saved one crawdad who I put in the bigger pond. But the female I kept, even when I first got her she wasn't really swimming properly.

So, I still have a male and female, plus the little baby one.

#43 Offline Vendayn - Posted July 14 2015 - 1:38 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I got a bunch of freshwater snails and more algae. And I accidentally got a toad tadpole, guess it was in the algae. I wasn't really planning on keeping a toad...but, ah well. I moved it out of my crawdad habitat though, I don't want it to get eaten.

(edit: Guess I got 5 tadpoles! There must have been a lot hiding in the algae.)

And supposedly crawdads will eat the snails. The snails are rather small though, but maybe they'll eat some of them. Otherwise I'll end up with too many snails! The algae had a lot in it. I'll need to keep that in mind next time I get algae down at the river, there is a lot of life in it.

Edited by Vendayn, July 14 2015 - 3:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users