• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

camponotus consobrinus (Australian banded sugar ant)

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted October 4 2021 - 4:34 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

deleted

Edited by NancyZamora4991, October 4 2021 - 4:36 PM.

#42 Offline Shazza - Posted October 5 2021 - 12:40 AM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
After observing them today I think all is ok, once dusk came (this is there most active time in the wild) they started to forage.

1 worker stayed in the test tube and the other 2 would forage or tend the brood. The Queen would then go back to the test tube, get fed and then relive one of the workers and it would continue to forage. Fascinating to watch after looking at only brood for the past months.

Still not sure why they have separated from the test tube....

I have tried some protein and they are not at all interested. I have tried a moth and a mosquito after freezing and boiling them. Il try meal worms once I can get to the shops. They certainly are not shy about the sugar solution as expected

Attached Images

• 20211005_182829.jpg
  • 20211005_182823.jpg
  • 20211005_183012.jpg

Edited by Shazza, October 5 2021 - 1:02 AM.

• Chickalo, eea, m99 and 1 other like this

#43 Offline Shazza - Posted October 7 2021 - 2:04 PM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Quick update and a question,

4th worker enclosed 2 days ago without issue. The colony keep moving between spots in the outworld and the test tube.

They do not seem interested in protein at all. I have tried spiders,moths and mosquitoes. They may be waiting until they get higher in numbers?

Now for the main question, if you go to the previous page there's a picture of the chambers in the formicarium. On the left are 3 chambers that have there own access and they can not enter the large area from that side. Should I open it up and see if they settle in there? I'm not asking because I want to see them in there but I thought they may feel more secure?

Quick photo of new worker

Attached Images

• 20211006_152607.jpg
  • 20211006_163505.jpg

• Antkeeper01 and Ecthelion like this

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 7 2021 - 3:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Just keep providing protein. They will only need miniscule amounts now, that they’re probably gathering when you’re not observing. The ants will move around in random ways, and Camponotus are just about the worst for this. Don’t stress.
  • Antkeeper01 and Shazza like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#45 Offline Shazza - Posted October 7 2021 - 8:12 PM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Just keep providing protein. They will only need miniscule amounts now, that they’re probably gathering when you’re not observing. The ants will move around in random ways, and Camponotus are just about the worst for this. Don’t stress.

Thanks for the reply ANTdrew, they certainly are moving a lot, Today they have found a new spot on top of the formicarium. Il keep up the small amounts of protein as well. This weekend il grab some mealworms

#46 Offline Shazza - Posted October 21 2021 - 2:10 AM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
They have settled back in to the test tube for 80% of the time. 5 worker's now. All the eggs have hatched and there a various sizes of larvae now. Only a couple of cocoons.

The colony has also started taking fly and some spiders for some protein. Plan to get some mealworms as soon as I can get away from work one day.

I'm not sure if fluon will stop them getting out due to the ytong nest being fitted close the the top of the container so I may have to get a new set up or potentially connect a new outworld so I don't need to open up the lid to often. These girls are so fast when disturbed.

Attached Images

• 20211021_193711.jpg
  • 20211021_194210.jpg
  • 20211021_193938.jpg

• Wegmier, Antkeeper01 and m99 like this

#47 Offline Shazza - Posted October 22 2021 - 6:06 PM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
The vertical feeder broke so I have attached a sugar water test tube for the time being. I'm guessing the colony fealt like some fast food as the workers and brood have moved in.

It gave me the the opertunity to get some close ups

Attached Images

• 20211023_111608.jpg
  • 20211023_111531.jpg
  • 20211023_111517.jpg

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 22 2021 - 6:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
When you do a sugar water tube like that, fill it all the way up so there’s no room for them to move in.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#49 Offline Shazza - Posted October 23 2021 - 12:03 AM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Good point, as usual though they have moved again already, I think il call this colony "the nomads"
  • Ecthelion likes this

#50 Offline Shazza - Posted October 24 2021 - 1:19 AM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Colony is loving protein at the moment. I finally had the chance to get some meal worms. Colony loved them!!!! Easy protein source thankfully, the Queen even came out to dine on them.

The Queens Gaster looks enlarged so I suspect a fresh batch of eggs will be on the way shortly.

Il cut back updates now and update when things change or something happens. Thanks for joining me for the start of the "Nomads"

Attached Images

• 20211024_141811.jpg
  • 20211024_181252.jpg

• JCRHJM likes this

#51 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 24 2021 - 2:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You see, I told you they would go for protein eventually. Just keep it up.
  • Shazza likes this

#52 Offline Shazza - Posted October 24 2021 - 3:10 AM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Yep you were correct!!! Thanks for the advice on long the way :)

Edited by Shazza, October 24 2021 - 3:10 AM.

#53 Offline Shazza - Posted November 6 2021 - 5:46 PM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Colony is going well, 6 workers now and lots of brood.

Typical for the nomads is they have moved again!! I added a small container to feed them in as I kept disturbing the colony when the lid was lifted. They ovcorse have decided they like the new container more.

Attached Images

• 20211107_103104.jpg
  • 20211107_114157.jpg

• Antkeeper01, eea and JCRHJM like this

#54 Offline Shazza - Posted November 30 2021 - 2:30 AM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
All is going well, colony is now up to 13 workers now!!! Colony hardly touches protein now and seems content with sugar water.

As always they are constantly moving and splitting up brood piles to separate parts of the formicarium. After x-mas il be looking at a new set up that is easier to access and keep clean.

Quick photo of the crew and a new family memeber being cleaned

Attached Images

• 20211130_102737.jpg
  • 20211130_102727.jpg

• Antkeeper01, JCRHJM and PaigeX like this

#55 Offline Shazza - Posted December 28 2021 - 1:10 AM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
The nomads are up to 17 workers now and they are starting to become a lot larger as well.

The brood pile is huge so I expect the population to explode soon.

I will be ordering new nest and outworld shortly, the formicarium they are in is proving to be difficult. I just need to decide on what one I want.

Attached Images

• 20211228_165627.jpg
  • 20211228_091507.jpg

• Antkeeper01 and markomac like this

#56 Offline markomac - Posted December 28 2021 - 2:15 AM

markomac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
Deciding on the outworld is hard work. I was all set to get the Large Ants Australia outworld. I already had an Ants Australia acrylic founding nest. Minutes before ordering the outworld, I found an enclosure for reptiles that was made of glass, larger than the ants Australia option and more importantly, it was something like half the price. And, I could pick it up at the local pet store. The only issue was that I’d have to drill through the glass to attach an external nest. I took the risk and it worked out ok.

Edited by markomac, December 28 2021 - 2:16 AM.

• Antkeeper01, Shazza and PaigeX like this

#57 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 28 2021 - 8:37 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

great on the saving there. I would like to know what glass enclosure for reptiles you found. I've got small tanks and stuff to start making outworlds but you can never have too much spare stuff. I'm from Aus too.

• Antkeeper01 and Shazza like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#58 Offline markomac - Posted December 28 2021 - 2:26 PM

markomac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

great on the saving there. I would like to know what glass enclosure for reptiles you found. I've got small tanks and stuff to start making outworlds but you can never have too much spare stuff. I'm from Aus too.

The one I got can be found here: https://macarthurpet...-30-x-30-x-30cm (the image shows two different styles, mines the shorter more square looking version)

It’s only $69.99 for the 30x30x30. Where as the Aus Ants (not Ants Australia as mentioned in previous post) version I was looking at was $142 and it only measured 25.5 x 20 x 23.5 according to the ant keeping depot website. So even if I broke the glass on one, I was still better off financially buying a replacement one of these ones than I was the acrylic. Luckily no issues cutting through the glass.

The only other thing that could potentially be an issue is the mesh top. It’s possibly big enough mesh that small ants could get through it. I’m slightly paranoid about other ants getting in through there even though I’ve used Fluon on the inside and outside.
  • PaigeX likes this

#59 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 28 2021 - 2:59 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

Oh yea those! you can modify it any way you want. thank you for letting me know <3  

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#60 Offline Shazza - Posted December 29 2021 - 2:43 AM

Shazza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Deciding on the outworld is hard work. I was all set to get the Large Ants Australia outworld. I already had an Ants Australia acrylic founding nest. Minutes before ordering the outworld, I found an enclosure for reptiles that was made of glass, larger than the ants Australia option and more importantly, it was something like half the price. And, I could pick it up at the local pet store. The only issue was that I’d have to drill through the glass to attach an external nest. I took the risk and it worked out ok.

Ye, out world and formicarium selection is very difficult. Fortunately I got a voucher for Ants depot for x-mas.

Looking at getting the medium Aus ants outworld just so I don't need to modify anything. The Formicarium is a hard choice, I would rather theAus amts ytong but it is harder to keep clean. So I may just go the Acrylic.

The reptile habitat looks like an awsome idea, drilling glass though can be a pain. The same shop may be able to tell you who they use to drill tanks if you don't have access to a glass drill.

I am super paranoid as well about small Ants getting in, I have lost one of these species before to unwelcome guest's.
  • PaigeX likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users