• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hypoponera Keeping help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 26 2021 - 1:36 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

I've caught many of these Hypoponera sp. queens and every single one dies with no eggs. Do they have more specific needs or diets? Also if there are any journals on some sp that would be nice, Thanks.

#2 Offline M_Ants - Posted June 26 2021 - 2:22 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I have a journal. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#3 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 26 2021 - 4:34 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

I have a journal. 

The journal was VERY informative! Thank you. If I don't have a hydrostone setup what else could I use? I have a springtail culture right now so I have the food. 

#4 Offline M_Ants - Posted June 26 2021 - 5:36 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I have a journal. 

The journal was VERY informative! Thank you. If I don't have a hydrostone setup what else could I use? I have a springtail culture right now so I have the food. 

Glad to hear you liked it. Sadly my hypos died due to lack of hydration I believe. In my opinion they aren't worth the effort unless you can do a poly setup. My colony grew incredibly slowly. You should feed till you see a little pile of excess dead springtails. As far as a potential other setup you could fill a really small container with sterile dirt and keep the dirt moist and put lots of springtails in to cleanup mold. I used this method and gave the queen a piece of wood to hide under. You won't be able to see the founding process without lifting the wood or moving dirt to see the founding chamber, but it can work. I prefer the hydrostone setup over this. The dirt method has far more potential issues. When I tried the dirt method I sifted the soil so it was really fine. Probably don't need to but then their aren't little pieces of wood and stuff in case the queen wants to dig.  

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

#5 Offline yaboiseth - Posted June 26 2021 - 8:52 PM

yaboiseth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

I have a journal. 

Glad to hear you liked it. Sadly my hypos died due to lack of hydration I believe. In my opinion they aren't worth the effort unless you can do a poly setup. My colony grew incredibly slowly. You should feed till you see a little pile of excess dead springtails. As far as a potential other setup you could fill a really small container with sterile dirt and keep the dirt moist and put lots of springtails in to cleanup mold. I used this method and gave the queen a piece of wood to hide under. You won't be able to see the founding process without lifting the wood or moving dirt to see the founding chamber, but it can work. I prefer the hydrostone setup over this. The dirt method has far more potential issues. When I tried the dirt method I sifted the soil so it was really fine. Probably don't need to but then their aren't little pieces of wood and stuff in case the queen wants to dig.  

I may start trying right now, but would the solo queen accept more queens once she starts founding? I find alot of these periodically so it would be great to add them periodically lol. Sad to hear that they died though, a multiple queen colony is always more exciting.

#6 Offline M_Ants - Posted June 30 2021 - 8:44 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

I have a journal. 

I may start trying right now, but would the solo queen accept more queens once she starts founding? I find alot of these periodically so it would be great to add them periodically lol. Sad to hear that they died though, a multiple queen colony is always more exciting.

I think she would up until getting workers. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users