• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How some ants escape predators

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BugFinder - Posted May 17 2015 - 3:30 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I just read an interesting article and thought I'd share it with all of you in case you might like it.  Enjoy!

• Gregory2455 and AntTeen804 like this
“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#2 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted May 18 2015 - 12:22 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

It's amazing, how far they can get with only one snap. If I would try it, I would loose my teeth.

• BugFinder likes this

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#3 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted May 18 2015 - 7:29 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Neat! I've observed many instances of both of these species living in close proximity. Nice to see documentation on what we don't normally see.

The catapulting behavior is comical to watch, especially in captivity. It often backfires (literally) when facing larger insects and the ants fling themselves away from their intended meal only to rush back and to repeat the process again. 

• BugFinder likes this

#4 Offline cpman - Posted May 18 2015 - 4:01 PM

cpman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

I've heard of this before. I still long to see Odontomachus. It is supposed to not be all that uncommon around here, but I've never seen it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users