• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant collecting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline hestoncv - Posted June 19 2021 - 4:00 PM

hestoncv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Curious if anyone follows formal methods for surveying an area for what species are available. Maybe this resource would be interesting for some. It includes collection methods and preserving the ants and how to label them, seems very interesting. https://mississippie...ecting.tips.htm

Let me know if you got something interesting from it.

#2 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted June 19 2021 - 9:51 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Definitely a lot of interesting info there. I collect ants, but I'm far from doing any kind of formal survey. I just carry a few jars and if I see an any I want a better look at I grab it for later. My collection reflects the same kind of biases that crowdsourcing apps like Inaturalist do. I have a lot of common diurnal ants and hardly anything else. 

I also need to ID them, but I keep them pinned and labeled at least. This reminds me I need to take pictures of more of my collection for the journal I started.

As far as figuring out what species are nearby. I use antmaps.org/antweb.org to see what has been reported in my state and antwiki.org to see what kind of habitat they live in. I'm sure there are a lot that don't show up on those sites and a few that do show up that are no longer around, but for as little as I know, that's more than enough.  

#3 Offline hestoncv - Posted June 20 2021 - 2:43 PM

hestoncv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Definitely a lot of interesting info there. I collect ants, but I'm far from doing any kind of formal survey. I just carry a few jars and if I see an any I want a better look at I grab it for later. My collection reflects the same kind of biases that crowdsourcing apps like Inaturalist do. I have a lot of common diurnal ants and hardly anything else. 

I also need to ID them, but I keep them pinned and labeled at least. This reminds me I need to take pictures of more of my collection for the journal I started.

As far as figuring out what species are nearby. I use antmaps.org/antweb.org to see what has been reported in my state and antwiki.org to see what kind of habitat they live in. I'm sure there are a lot that don't show up on those sites and a few that do show up that are no longer around, but for as little as I know, that's more than enough.  

Ill check out those websites! appreciate it.

• Skwiggledork likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users