• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Small winged ant found in hallway of office area in Newark, Delaware

winged alatewinged queen north america delaware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline drawpositive - Posted June 18 2021 - 2:09 AM

drawpositive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDelaware

I found this winged ant (which I believe is a queen) walking on the ground of a hallway near the office area of where I work.  The building itself is over 50 years old.  There is a fire exit about 100 feet away from where the ant was.  Other than that, no windows or doors close by.  

I collected the ant yesterday and put it in a test tube, yet the wings have not yet come off and the ant has not shown any attempts to remove the wings.

A few weeks earlier, I saw another winged ant in this same hallway.

My questions are:

1.) What species of ant is this?

2.)  Is it a queen?

3.)  Do you think she had already gone through the nuptial flight, landed, and then somehow wandered into the hallway?  Or do you think she is an unmated queen that emerged from a nest somewhere and had yet to take flight and mate? (I wouldn't want to keep an unmated queen unnecessarily --I would release her if it is likely that she is unmated)

Attached Images

• IMG_5699.jpg
  • IMG_5703.jpg
  • IMG_5706.jpg
  • IMG_5709.jpg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 2:33 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Looks like a Tetramorium immigrans queen. A very good beginner species. You’ll need to wait and see if she lays eggs.
  • AntsLA-1, azzaaazzzz00 and drawpositive like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline AntsLA-1 - Posted June 18 2021 - 12:42 PM

AntsLA-1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Yeah, my best guess is Tetramorium Immagrans, too.

Ants are cute, that's that.

Currently Keeping:

Nothing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winged alatewinged queen, north america, delaware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users