• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Please help! My Weaver ant queen is in danger!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Offline SYUTEO - Posted June 26 2021 - 8:01 PM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

If in a tank set up, just wet tissue and a toilet roll is good enough? Do you have any photo of a good set up that you can share with me please?

Yes, just put some wet tissues in a plastic jar or anything big enough for the queen to nest in should be alright. Though some people had luck with test tubes.

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#22 Offline ashley1505 - Posted June 26 2021 - 9:44 PM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok I'll try that when I get home. Currently, I've placed her in a small plastic fish tank with the lid left open, we put a talcum barrier at the top of the tank, a wet tissue, some leaves and a test tube stuffed with cotton bud and sugar solution.

#23 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 26 2021 - 9:59 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
Sorry if I'm late. I'm getting a pic now

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#24 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 26 2021 - 10:02 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
IMG20210604100004
IMG20210604100007
IMG20210604100009

This is the setup. Just remember to add air holes in the lid. The tissue is wet. I founded my colony like this and it's proven to be successful countless times. I have a pic on what it should look like with the queen inside. I'll send it next post cuz I haven't uploaded it to my gallery.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#25 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 26 2021 - 10:07 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Ok here it is.

InShot 20210627 140622754

#26 Offline ashley1505 - Posted June 27 2021 - 6:48 PM

ashley1505

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Super cool! Thanks so much! I've done something similar and added a test tube with sugar solution in the container, hopefully she survives this one.. at least this time she is active before we place her in the founding set up 😁
  • ANTS_KL likes this

#27 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted June 27 2021 - 10:06 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Super cool! Thanks so much! I've done something similar and added a test tube with sugar solution in the container, hopefully she survives this one.. at least this time she is active before we place her in the founding set up

Lets hope she makes it! Should be quite smooth from now till the workers emerge. Then you gotta get plants.

Sent from my CPH2201 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users