• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The hungry girls of late summer.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted August 18 2021 - 6:06 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I have 6 colonies. None are huge. They range from 15 to 300 ants each. Various species. I remember the early days when I'd feed them one or two fruit flies or a single cricket leg. These days it's two crickets, or a whole meal worm or 20 to 30 flies each. There are more ants, yes, but they also seem... bottomless. I feed them a little in the morning and if it's gone more in the evening. If they eat all of that by the next morning I feed them again. If there are leftovers I skip a day then start the pattern again. 

I'm just shocked how fast they hoover up crickets now. Even the exoskeletons are just... gone...

Anyway. I'm going through bugs rather fast, so winter won't be all bad news. 

Anyone else find the ramping up a little frantic? 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 18 2021 - 6:13 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
For most of the season, colonies aren’t this hungry and don’t need to eat as much. Your colonies are probably eating so much because they are getting ready for hibernation. Colonies need to consume as much food as they can to last them through the winter and grow out their remaining brood to a stage that can hibernate (larvae or workers).

Edited by Manitobant, August 18 2021 - 7:03 PM.

• AntBoi3030 likes this

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 18 2021 - 6:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I feed my Crematogaster colony 20-30 mealworms, crickets, or dubias every day, and it’s still not enough. I think they are feeding eggs to their new queens to fatten them up.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted August 19 2021 - 4:27 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

My large C. pennsylvanicus colony (~250 ants) goes through a slice of apple and 1-2 crickets or Dubia roaches per day as do my C. americanus, while my other C. penns don’t touch their fresh killed food and barely sip the Sunburst. Go figure :unknown:

• futurebird likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users