• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Honey water in droplets or cotton for Camponotus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline iulius - Posted June 7 2021 - 1:10 PM

iulius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFrance
Hi all,

I've just begun to raise a Camponotus Turkestanus colony.  I currently have a queen with 4 workers and a little brood.
Pretty lovely ants!
I notice they are removing chunks of sand from their nest, and put it on the drop of honey water I gave them (see photo below).  According to your experience, is it something Camponotus usually do?  Should honey water in a cotton preferable for them?
Or maybe they want to dispose of the sand, and consider it as garbage?

Also, for the water source, I put a cotton so as to prevent drowning.  I hope that will be fine for them.  I've read on the Internet that some colonies might not be fond of cotton, and prefer direct access to water.  Yet, an accident can quickly arrive...

20210607 144232

20210607 144447

Thanks beforehand for any piece of advice you may have.

Julien

#2 Offline Crazycow - Posted June 7 2021 - 1:13 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton
They are probably doing that so they don’t get stuck in it, or they don’t like it possibly but it’s most likely the 1st option

#3 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted June 7 2021 - 1:21 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

They do that so they can't accidentally fall in and get stuck. All ants do this at some point. Cotton will work as a sort of sponge, but I like to use small apple chunks to absorb the honey/sugar water. 

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#4 Offline iulius - Posted June 8 2021 - 9:07 AM

iulius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFrance

Many thanks for your answers.  I'll give a try to apple chunks soaked with honey/sugar water, good idea, it seems more natural than cotton buds.

• PetsNotPests likes this

#5 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted June 8 2021 - 9:10 AM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

Many thanks for your answers.  I'll give a try to apple chunks soaked with honey/sugar water, good idea, it seems more natural than cotton budsI

It's not only natural, but when they have slurped up all of the liquid, they can munch on the apple chunk itself.  :D

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#6 Offline Broncos - Posted June 8 2021 - 9:11 AM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

almost all ants do this. It normally means they are done with it and don't want it to get in the way of moving around.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users