• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Myrmica sp. eggs taking very long to develop.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NPLT - Posted June 4 2021 - 2:25 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

Hi, so, I've had my Myrmica sp. queen which I named Gift for about a month now, and she had eggs for about 3 weeks + a couple days, and I am incredibly concerned none of them have developed into larvae yet. The lowest temperature she ever experienced was ~22,5 Celcius ( but usually staying around 23 to 24 Celcius ), she has her outworld with substrate ( she also brought quite a bit of it into her test tube ), she is overfeed with a cricket ( which is cut up in various ways to give her easier access to the meat ) and honey diluted with water, her test tube is also cushioned against vibrations with a lot of cotton, and shielded from light with a tube made from foil. What should I do?

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 4 2021 - 3:00 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

i hope this isn't true but she could maybe be infertile

• NPLT likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline NPLT - Posted June 4 2021 - 3:46 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

i hope this isn't true but she could maybe be infertile

Her brood pile is large and when I look into her tube she is nearly always tending to it, she doesn't have wings, and lastly, I collected her very much outside Myrmica sp. flight season, which means that she flew in 2020 and hibernated, and I collected her while she was foraging. The thing is, none of her eggs become larvae.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

#4 Offline Broncos - Posted June 4 2021 - 3:56 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California

It could either be bad eggs, or she could sadly be infertile

• Antkeeper01 and NPLT like this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#5 Offline NPLT - Posted June 4 2021 - 4:17 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Hmm, I see, I doubt a 2020 queen would survive this long though, since as I said, she most likely hibernated and I caught her foraging ( also, she's dealate ).

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

#6 Offline Broncos - Posted June 4 2021 - 4:22 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Hmm, I see, I doubt a 2020 queen would survive this long though, since as I said, she most likely hibernated and I caught her foraging ( also, she's dealate ).
I had a camponotus queen that laid eggs that never hatched for 2 years. She ended up dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#7 Offline NPLT - Posted June 4 2021 - 4:32 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

I had a camponotus queen that laid eggs that never hatched for 2 years. She ended up dying.

I see, so, what do you recommend I do? Especially since the same seems to be happening to my C. fallax ( though, she had eggs only for 2 weeks ).

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

#8 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 4 2021 - 8:06 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

I see, so, what do you recommend I do? Especially since the same seems to be happening to my C. fallax ( though, she had eggs only for 2 weeks ).

the camponotus is probably fine but i would hate to say this but you might have to euthanize gift :*(

• NPLT likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#9 Offline Broncos - Posted June 4 2021 - 8:39 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Wait and not check on her is really all you can do.

• NPLT likes this

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

#10 Offline NPLT - Posted June 4 2021 - 11:52 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Wait and not check on her is really all you can do.

Alright, I currently check on her only once a week.

Um, uh, Ants!

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 5 2021 - 2:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If she is warm and undisturbed, all you can do really is wait. Don’t worry yet about your Camponotus; they take at least two months to get from eggs to workers. Ant season is just starting, so I’m sure you’ll find plenty of other queens.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline NPLT - Posted June 5 2021 - 2:16 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

If she is warm and undisturbed, all you can do really is wait. Don’t worry yet about your Camponotus; they take at least two months to get from eggs to workers. Ant season is just starting, so I’m sure you’ll find plenty of other queens.

The only thing I'm really looking for is a Formica rufibarbis queen. But anyway, it's unusual for eggs to show no development after this much time right? Everytime I'm reading other people's journal they have larvae at 2 weeks at the latest.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

#13 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 5 2021 - 6:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, that’s kind of unusual. My advice would be try to find some small, vigorous species like your L. emarginatus to learn with. I think they should fly a bit later in the summer.
  • NPLT likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#14 Offline NPLT - Posted June 5 2021 - 12:23 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Yeah, that’s kind of unusual. My advice would be try to find some small, vigorous species like your L. emarginatus to learn with. I think they should fly a bit later in the summer.

( that's why I'm hunting for F. rufibarbis, except for the small part, I like big ants more ), aren't Myrmica also fairly easy?

Edited by NPLT, June 5 2021 - 2:36 PM.

Um, uh, Ants!

#15 Offline steelplant - Posted June 5 2021 - 1:42 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Maybe she's eating them then laying more. My Myrmica was doing this last year. I boosted her three worker pupae from a wild nest and finally she got larvae to take into hibernation. The biggest has since eclosed ... and it's a drone. So it looks like she's infertile.

The Myrmica queens i caught months later, during nuptial flight season, started laying after hibernation and all have workers already.

If you can catch another Myrmica queen, maybe they could found together, and the infertile queen could do all the running and fetching.
  • NPLT likes this

#16 Offline NPLT - Posted June 5 2021 - 1:56 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Maybe she's eating them then laying more. My Myrmica was doing this last year. I boosted her three worker pupae from a wild nest and finally she got larvae to take into hibernation. The biggest has since eclosed ... and it's a drone. So it looks like she's infertile.

The Myrmica queens i caught months later, during nuptial flight season, started laying after hibernation and all have workers already.

If you can catch another Myrmica queen, maybe they could found together, and the infertile queen could do all the running and fetching.

Hmm, I see, I don't think I could boost her, 1. I don't have the guts to disrupt a nest for brood, and 2. The Myrmica in my yard I'm fairly certain are not the same Myrmica sp. as my queen, thanks to their queen rushing in to greet me ( and try stinging ) when I first stumbled onto them, and I managed to spot small propedal spines on the queen, while my queen has very pronounced propedal spines. Same reason why I can't catch another queen, because it's impossible to ID her without microscope, I don't know if any queen I'd catch would be of the same species.

I hope she is not eating them and laying more, that is my biggest worry, but I try to shield her from any and all stressors, I even hold my breath while looking into her setup.

Um, uh, Ants!

#17 Offline steelplant - Posted June 5 2021 - 4:09 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Tough one. It sounds like you're doing everything right though, so i guess it's in the hands (feet?) of the ant gods now. I found a Myrmica drone (just one species round here) and introduced them after a few months of no larvae, but i guess it didn't work. Might try that again though.
  • NPLT likes this

#18 Offline NPLT - Posted June 5 2021 - 4:42 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Tough one. It sounds like you're doing everything right though, so i guess it's in the hands (feet?) of the ant gods now. I found a Myrmica drone (just one species round here) and introduced them after a few months of no larvae, but i guess it didn't work. Might try that again though.

I think mandibles would be best since it's the mandibles the ants use to modify their enviroment. And thanks, I hope she'll finally get larvae.

Um, uh, Ants!

#19 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 7 2021 - 5:02 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Hmm, I see, I don't think I could boost her, 1. I don't have the guts to disrupt a nest for brood, and 2. The Myrmica in my yard I'm fairly certain are not the same Myrmica sp. as my queen, thanks to their queen rushing in to greet me ( and try stinging ) when I first stumbled onto them, and I managed to spot small propedal spines on the queen, while my queen has very pronounced propedal spines. Same reason why I can't catch another queen, because it's impossible to ID her without microscope, I don't know if any queen I'd catch would be of the same species.

I hope she is not eating them and laying more, that is my biggest worry, but I try to shield her from any and all stressors, I even hold my breath while looking into her setup.

Reason #2 probably doesn't matter. I see people use brood from other species in the same genera all the time, and I thought I heard about someone using brood from a different genus before as well.

Edited by Kaelwizard, June 7 2021 - 5:03 AM.

#20 Offline NPLT - Posted June 7 2021 - 8:23 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Reason #2 probably doesn't matter. I see people use brood from other species in the same genera all the time, and I thought I heard about someone using brood from a different genus before as well.

I see, still, I'm not about to disturb a nest.

Anyway, so, this sunday, uh, while feeding I quickly peeped and maybe it's just the light playing tricks on me, but the brood seemed... yellower, should I, and how much, should I be concerned, does it mean the brood is dead?

Edited by NPLT, June 7 2021 - 8:24 AM.

Um, uh, Ants!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users