• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium (?) - Minnesota - 14-September-21

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 22 2021 - 9:33 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

22-June-2021 - The Grand Return

-----------------------------------------------

G'day everyone! Been quite awhile since I've made a post. Lots has changed since then, and now is not the time, but I have a journal entry to make. Let's see if I remember how to do all of this....  Mystery Solved!

Location of collection: Windowsill, Blaine, Minnesota

Date of collection: Sunday, June 20th, 2021
Habitat of collection: Domicile 

So I've been wanting to get back into anting but 1) I've moved and the season wasn't right and then 2) I didn't find anything last year. Was folding clothes and went to put things away and noticed a queen struggling on her back, wingless, on the windowsill in my bedroom.

Right there: 

I thought one of my cats bit/played/catted whatever it was because it was strugglin' weirdly on its back. Nope, ant queen. Didn't have anything ready or prepared. Was totally not expecting to find one let alone in my house. Found the cups and tubes I've used in the past. All but 1 were cracked so I quickly made a makeshift set up for her. 

Not the best pictures, my apologies. 

-

Covered the tube and went about my day. The next day, she's got 2 specks of white with her. This morning, a little bit of a white ball. Guess I need to start buildin' up another formicarium, eh?

Edited by sgheaton, September 14 2021 - 9:24 AM.

• MrPurpleB, ANTdrew, TestSubjectOne and 1 other like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#2 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 22 2021 - 9:52 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

looks like tetramorium immigrans also welcome back

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 22 2021 - 10:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Legendary comeback! You didn’t find that queen; she found you!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 22 2021 - 10:15 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

22-June-2021 - The Grand Return

-----------------------------------------------

G'day everyone! Been quite awhile since I've made a post. Lots has changed since then, and now is not the time, but I have a journal entry to make. Let's see if I remember how to do all of this.... 

Location of collection: Windowsill, Blaine, Minnesota

Date of collection: Sunday, June 20th, 2021
Habitat of collection: Domicile 

So I've been wanting to get back into anting but 1) I've moved and the season wasn't right and then 2) I didn't find anything last year. Was folding clothes and went to put things away and noticed a queen struggling on her back, wingless, on the windowsill in my bedroom.

Right there: 

I thought one of my cats bit/played/catted whatever it was because it was strugglin' weirdly on its back. Nope, ant queen. Didn't have anything ready or prepared. Was totally not expecting to find one let alone in my house. Found the cups and tubes I've used in the past. All but 1 were cracked so I quickly made a makeshift set up for her. 

Not the best pictures, my apologies. 

-

Covered the tube and went about my day. The next day, she's got 2 specks of white with her. This morning, a little bit of a white ball. Guess I need to start buildin' up another formicarium, eh?

yup. all of my tetramorium lay eggs with in the first few days, and like you said, a clump of them.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted June 25 2021 - 7:51 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

25 - June - 21 - Egg Update

--------------------------------------

First off - I don't remember how to update the "thread title" from the founding date to the last updated date. Anyone able to help me do that?

I'm going to need to see which version of Drews' Box he's sellin' these days. And when I snagged this one. Think it was back in 2018... 

Haven't decided on a name yet. I'll come up with something fitting I'm sure. For now, I've got her set up on Drews' 2018 box. I'm not sure where to put the heating wire but it's not time for that yet.

Nice lil egg pile is growing:

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 25 2021 - 7:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You can edit the title by editing the very first post and choosing Use Full Editor.
  • sgheaton likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 12 2021 - 11:09 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

12 - July - 2021

----------------------

Put a cotton ball plug in the tube and well it got wet and moldy. Not a good sign that things have already molded up with nothing living in it. While I have filled the formicarium with water, I don't have a heating wire on things yet. Still waiting on any nanitics.

#8 Offline sgheaton - Posted July 14 2021 - 10:48 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

14 - July - 2021 - Minor update

-------------------------------------------

So originally purchased two of Drews boxes:

The fact that the previous set up might have housed things, I don't remember it entirely, I set up the other box as the new home. Box had yet to be opened so everything was brand new:

I imagine the lack of heat & tunnels just caused for a swamp. 74% humidity and the entire thing was wet. I'll clean it up and reuse it. 

While she wasn't too happy with the move, I know it'll be for the better in the long run:

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#9 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 14 2021 - 9:23 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

14 - September - 2021 - Movement update

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ha! It has been one month. How about that. I was going to start of by saying that I was having troubles with  .........don't think I named this ant yet. Her tube was moldin' up. She was movin' dirt in the tube. 

Gave her some honey/water and food pieces. I dunno. Nothing happened yet. I think I scared her whenever I re-attached the tube to the other formicarium box. 

I tried poking some pre-holes to get her started, but she wasn't taking to them. .. Until today! Checked in after awhile and noticed she was workin' down at the end of this hole:

About time! I'll remove her tube and then ... wait. Can't really do anything else now except make sure she's got moisture. Wait for ants to make it to the surface! If she lays again. More? It's about to be colder here so hibernation will be soon. Mainly, she's moved into the dirt from the moldy test tube. 

• Kaelwizard and Antkeeper01 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users