• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cap_Backfire's Formica Subsicera Colony

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 11 2021 - 8:02 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

OK the only reason I'm posting this journal, in particular, is that I have created for them, what I think is a fairly unique setup.   So far they are burrowing and exploring.   There are about 20 workers, a large brood pile with pupae, larvae and eggs, as well as a VERY feisty queen.   MOst of the ants are underground and built what seems to be a fairly decent set of tunnels overnight with very little evidence of it on the surface.   

I went with an open air design simply for aesthetics.   I REALLY like the way it turned out and had everything here just sitting around before putting it to use for these girls.   So it basically cost me nothing (well, nothing NEW) and was super simple to create.   

I hope you like it because I sure do.   I'll try to keep regular updates if there's something to update.  Hopefully I don't update that they're all dead or missing or something.   Definitely excited to see how they do in this setup.   OH!  THe inner chamber, they can, and have, climbed the glass into the inner chamber, which houses the bamboo.   There is an upturned geode section I have filled with some water for them to drink-so this wil be their main water source.   They also have a small, plastic 'dish' for proteins and a Mt Dew bottlecap for honey and sugar water.   I have some of those inverted bottle looking ones coming soon.   LOVE these ants!   

Attached Images

• Trachy 4.jpg
  • formica 2.jpg

Edited by cap_backfire, July 11 2021 - 8:20 PM.

• ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, eea and 1 other like this

#2 Offline eea - Posted July 11 2021 - 8:08 PM

eea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

when i click on the picture it just shows an error

• cap_backfire likes this

-camponotus sansabeanus: 20 wokrers

#3 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 11 2021 - 8:18 PM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Ah crap.  I was worried about that.  The last time I posted pics it worked fine, this time I just copied and pasted.   let me see if I can fix it. 

• Antkeeper01 and eea like this

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 11 2021 - 9:14 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
That’s a very neat setup! (It’s subsericea btw)
  • Antkeeper01, cap_backfire and eea like this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 12 2021 - 3:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They’re going to love that!
  • Antkeeper01 and cap_backfire like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 14 2021 - 6:56 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

OK so these girls hide from me almost constantly.   Are they more nocturnal?   I know they're still around because their honey offerings and mealworm offerings are going quick.   Going to add springtails and some dwarf isopods to their enclosure tonight to give me something to actually watch!  HAHAHAAH!   They are definitely skittish but I see evidence that they're there.   

I have one section with tumbled glass on the topsoil, one section with small lava stones with sphagnum moss beneath it, and one section with chunks of rotten wood (I originally found them under a rotting log).  They've burrowed into the soil only section, which honestly surprised me.   So yeah, they're eating but otherwise totally hidden.  I haven't seen one since I first introduced them, but there is definite evidence that they are still around.   

• eea likes this

#7 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 15 2021 - 8:13 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Well the good news is, these ladies aren't hiding much anymore.  The bad news is, out of this lush landscape I have provided for them, they have chosen to move back into their test tube, which I placed inside the enclosure to make sure they had carbs and hydration at all times.   Sheesh.   I covered it with some rotting wood bits so they'd feel more secure but the queen and at least 10 of her daughters are in there with all the brood they had moved underground.   What a colony of ding-dongs.  

• eea likes this

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 15 2021 - 8:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Myrmy’s Law
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#9 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 23 2021 - 7:48 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Haven't seen these girls in about a week at least, but they keep moving brood in and out of the water test tube so I added more water to the bottom of their enclosure.   Are these girls super subterranean???  their honey and bugs keep disappearing so I'm very confident they're still around, just haven't seen them.  

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2021 - 8:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
They’ll just do a ninja snatch and grab when you’re not watching. You won’t see regular foragers until 80 or so workers.

#11 Offline cap_backfire - Posted July 23 2021 - 8:47 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

OK cool.   I'll keep checking on them and watering them.  I love their setup and I may have jumped the gun by putting them in there with only about 15 workers.   They were wild caught so I assume they're a little heartier then a 12 count colony raised from a founding queen.   I may be wrong about that but I couldn't resist this setup that was made completely from things I already had on hand.   

As always, Thanks, ANTdrew!~  

#12 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 23 2021 - 9:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s the best possible setup for their health. This genus just requires Job-like patience.

#13 Offline cap_backfire - Posted September 14 2021 - 7:46 AM

cap_backfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationMunster, IN

Had to readjust their setup by adding more barrier.   A few of these girls escaped and raided my micro-roach colony.   Not SUCH a big deal since the roaches are feeders for my ants but I didn't wannt them deciding to move into anothher setup or just moving somewhere else in my house wiithout the proper papers.   

Also added ant barrier to the outside of all my setups to prevent any possible invaders, as I've seen this become a problem for other keepers in the past.  Safety first!   

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users