• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Interesting National Geographic Article About Ant-keeping

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 24 2021 - 11:20 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA
https://www.national...e-of-antkeeping

#2 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 24 2021 - 11:21 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Yeah a lot of AAK discord people were excited to try to contribute to that article. lol

P.S. Yes, I'm also excited by the links between science and the hobby. Like helping get Prenolepis to Dr. Tsutsui was a highlight for me. I hope the ant keeping community continues to contribute to science, and vice versa.

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, May 24 2021 - 11:23 AM.

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#3 Offline DerkaDoesGaming - Posted May 24 2021 - 11:34 AM

DerkaDoesGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Its some good stuff! 

Formicast Website! Check it out HERE

#4 Offline Barristan - Posted May 24 2021 - 11:53 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany

They made an interview with probably one of the most incompetent and inexperienced ant keepers they could find.

But well it is all about having the right connections I guess ;).

At least he talked about ants and not about his bunnies.

Edited by Barristan, May 24 2021 - 11:56 AM.

• Subverted, CheetoLord02, Manitobant and 2 others like this

#5 Offline SleepyAsianAnter - Posted May 24 2021 - 12:03 PM

SleepyAsianAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles (SoCal)

They made an interview with probably one of the most incompetent and inexperienced ant keepers they could find.

I don't recall anyone asking for your irrelevant opinion 

• B_rad0806, madbiologist and cap_backfire like this

#6 Offline Barristan - Posted May 24 2021 - 12:11 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

I don't recall anyone asking for your irrelevant opinion 

This thread was posted on a public forum about ants and ant keeping and as far as I remember there is no rule that I have to ask someone to give my opinion.

But thanks for your reply xD

PS: Instead of linking to Soul's pathetic ant website they should have really linked to this forum.

Edited by Barristan, May 24 2021 - 12:48 PM.

• Subverted, CheetoLord02, Manitobant and 2 others like this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 24 2021 - 12:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I can’t wait to get a paper copy of this. I grew up reading National Geographic, so this is some impressive legitimacy finally being shown.
  • OhNoNotAgain, cap_backfire and Chickalo like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Zeiss - Posted May 24 2021 - 12:20 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

I can’t wait to get a paper copy of this. I grew up reading National Geographic, so this is some impressive legitimacy finally being shown.

I miss being in my grade school classrooms and reading all the NatGeo magazines my teachers would collect.  It was pretty fun to see all the great photography they had in them.

• MinigunL5 likes this

#9 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 24 2021 - 12:49 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Pretty sure the article author is also on FC.  :)

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Tetramorium sp.

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

#10 Offline Barristan - Posted May 24 2021 - 1:12 PM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Pretty sure the article author is also on FC.  :)

That'd be even worse, because then she knew about this great website and still couldn't find anyone better to interview...

#notmyantkeeper

Edited by Barristan, May 24 2021 - 1:14 PM.

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 24 2021 - 1:15 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Pretty sure the article author is also on FC. :)

Really? Who could it be?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 24 2021 - 1:30 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I mean its a good article, but why did they have to interview soul out of all antkeepers? He’s quite controversial in the community.
  • Barristan, CheetoLord02 and MinigunL5 like this

#13 Offline NPLT - Posted May 24 2021 - 1:53 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

I mean its a good article, but why did they have to interview soul out of all antkeepers? He’s quite controversial in the community.

My theory: he is easier to find, we all agree that Ants Australia is a better antkeeper than Ants Canada, and yet, AntsAus has only 100k subscribers and shows up 10th when you search "ant keeping" on YouTube. Same with soul, he is just easier to find, compare, AKE server at a couple hundred members vs AAK server at a couple thousand, ( he also might be connected to the r/antkeeping subreddit since his server uses the sane logo, which subreddit has 2k members more than r/ants ). 

By the way, what did Soul do that he is such a controversial figure?

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#14 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted May 24 2021 - 2:00 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

AFAIK Soul has a strong desire, and prioritizes things, to promote scientists connecting with the hobby and vice versa. If nothing else, that might lead to some of the controversies that erupt on AAK if people's goals, intentions, and so on happen to be different. I have done my share of management and community management - sometimes the divisive differences are really deep down a difference in priorities and approaches. Given the priority of NatGeo magazine is probably more in line with the science angle, and it aligns pretty well with Soul's priorities.... Well anyway, that's my $0.02. I don't want to go down the controversy route. People are different and we need those differences (as long as people remain civil and respectful), and yes, sometimes that results in splits, divisions, and multiple platforms. There's never a one-place-fits all for humans.

• ANTdrew and NPLT like this

Tetramorium sp.

#15 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 24 2021 - 2:17 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

My theory: he is easier to find, we all agree that Ants Australia is a better antkeeper than Ants Canada, and yet, AntsAus has only 100k subscribers and shows up 10th when you search "ant keeping" on YouTube. Same with soul, he is just easier to find, compare, AKE server at a couple hundred members vs AAK server at a couple thousand, ( he also might be connected to the r/antkeeping subreddit since his server uses the sane logo, which subreddit has 2k members more than r/ants ).

AKE has over 1,000 members according to my Discord app...
  • AnthonyP163 and CheetoLord02 like this

#16 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 24 2021 - 2:18 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

I won’t get into it too much as to avoid a huge debate, but basically his views and the way he runs his discord makes him controversial.

#17 Offline NPLT - Posted May 24 2021 - 2:36 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

AKE has over 1,000 members according to my Discord app...

Ah, sorry, I couldn't find the exact number,  and the best my discord could do was count the amount of people online ( still, AAK has over 5k, there is still a big difference )

I won’t get into it too much as to avoid a huge debate, but basically his views and the way he runs his discord makes him controversial.

I heard something about the way he runs the discord, but, what are his views? I'm sorry if these questions come off as wanting to incite something, but I am still very new to the English speaking side of the antkeeping community and don't know of the various famous and infamous people there.

Um, uh, Ants!

#18 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 24 2021 - 3:27 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Don’t bring it up here, please. You can find plenty of toxic threads to learn all about it in the archives.
  • nurbs, Zeiss, Manitobant and 2 others like this

#19 Offline NPLT - Posted May 24 2021 - 3:57 PM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Don’t bring it up here, please. You can find plenty of toxic threads to learn all about it in the archives.

Alright, I won't bring it up again. ( Now I just need to find where are those archives )

Um, uh, Ants!

#20 Offline madbiologist - Posted May 24 2021 - 5:49 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I asked about that when submitting my photo, unfortunately it seems to be just an online article. I do hope that they include it in the magazine, but I don't think they will. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users