• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Antcatcherpro's Pheidole bicarinata journal

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted May 26 2021 - 4:03 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

When should I give them a proper outworld. They are at about 8 workers right now.

You can give them one whenever you want, just make sure that they can't escape. 

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#42 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 26 2021 - 5:14 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Ok. So in a few weeks I'll give them a outworld.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#43 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 27 2021 - 7:31 AM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Yea, wait until a new generation of workers to eclose also mabye ID the sp and start a new one this one is kinda messed up lol

Edited by AntBoi3030, May 27 2021 - 7:32 AM.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

#44 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 27 2021 - 9:18 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I did ID them. I am sure they are bicarinata.

#45 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 27 2021 - 2:01 PM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Ok, now I make this journal a real journal for talking about my colony. They are doing good, and have a LOT of brood. Mostly small larvae and eggs. I'm excited for this colony to grow.

#46 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 28 2021 - 3:43 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I will be posting on my other journal for all my species, but I might post here still a little bit. So I'm probably moving this journal to my other one.

#47 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 28 2021 - 5:32 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

May I ask exactly how? It would be a new state record if it is Pheidole bicarinata so I am curious how you came to the conclusion. It isn't simply looking at a picture of it on Google.

Edit: typo

Edited by Kaelwizard, May 28 2021 - 5:33 AM.

#48 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 28 2021 - 5:44 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

May I ask exactly how? It would be a new state record if it is Pheidole bicarinata so I am curious how you came to the conclusion. It isn't simply looking at a picture of it on Google.

I second this.  Pheidole are pretty small so one probably shouldn't look at pictures to decide.  In Massachusetts Pheidole bicarinata so far has only been inside of greenhouses so if this was found outside under a rock this would be a new state record as Kael said.

Edited by Chickalo, May 28 2021 - 5:55 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

シグナチャーです。예.

#49 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted May 28 2021 - 5:45 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

they are not

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#50 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 28 2021 - 8:10 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Idk then. For now I guess I'll call them Pheidole. sp. I don't feel like ID'ing a tiny ant that looks like pheidole bicarinata.

• Antkeeper014 likes this

#51 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 28 2021 - 8:12 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

How am I supposed to ID them then? I'm not taking a worker out of the colony. 

#52 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 28 2021 - 8:15 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

And if they aren't bicarinata or pilifera, then what species are they.

#53 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 28 2021 - 8:16 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I didn't look at pictures to decide the species. That's not all I do to ID ya know.

#54 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 28 2021 - 8:25 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

I didn't look at pictures to decide the species. That's not all I do to ID ya know.

I wasn't accusing you of anything. My point is that you can't claim to have found a new state record and not explain how you figured it out, which you still haven't. Do you know for sure that they aren't Pheidole pilifera? As Chickalo said, Pheidole bicarinata were only found indoors in MA as of now, so if they are in fact P. bicarinata, you might want to tell an entomologist.

From what you have said, it seems like the colony was established so I would think antmaps would have updated MA to say that they are now found outside as well.

Edited by Kaelwizard, May 28 2021 - 8:27 AM.

#55 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 28 2021 - 8:34 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I don't use a microscope, so I might not be exact, but I do a lot of searching for what species I think I have and if they live in my state of not. So I could be off, but I spent a lot of time trying to find out if they were bicarinata or not.

#56 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 28 2021 - 8:45 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Can you borrow a phone or digital camera from your parents to get high quality shots? That would help a lot with IDing them.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#57 Offline Antkeeper014 - Posted May 28 2021 - 8:49 AM

Antkeeper014

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts [USA]

And if they aren't bicarinata or pilifera, then what species are they.

We never doubted they were bicar or plifera, just that from the given pictures they are indistinguishable and therefore as you suggested, calling them pheidole sp. is appropriate atm. Now, if you have any way to take a better quality picture of the queen/major, we can give them a certain ID. These do look like bicarinata due to the majors profile, and the fact they were nesting under a rock (plifera tend make extremely deep nests) but again, no surefire way to ID from an orange blob. 

In addition to getting better pictures, queen size can also determine an ID. Bicar are much smaller/thinner (usually around 5-6ish mm), while pilifera are larger and bulkier (7ish mm, some of the big girls surpassing 8mm). The real difference between them is the width, 

20200407_223644.jpg?width=365&height=422
(photo courtesy of Otter)

• Kaelwizard, Antkeeper01 and AntBoi3030 like this

#58 Offline Antcatcherpro3 - Posted May 28 2021 - 8:49 AM

Antcatcherpro3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Maybe, I might be able to get shots on my own though. I'll figure it out. All I know is that these are either bicarinata or pilifera.

• Kaelwizard and Antkeeper014 like this

#59 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted May 28 2021 - 11:07 AM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

I wasn't accusing you of anything. My point is that you can't claim to have found a new state record and not explain how you figured it out, which you still haven't. Do you know for sure that they aren't Pheidole pilifera? As Chickalo said, Pheidole bicarinata were only found indoors in MA as of now, so if they are in fact P. bicarinata, you might want to tell an entomologist.

From what you have said, it seems like the colony was established so I would think antmaps would have updated MA to say that they are now found outside as well.

An established population of P. bicarinata has already been found outside. P. davisi have also been found in MA.

#60 Offline Barristan - Posted May 28 2021 - 11:18 AM

Barristan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBindlach, Bavaria, Germany
I prefer keeping small colonies in small outworlds like I posted in my Monomorium floricola journal. The advantage is that you have full control and see at once where they are and if things go wrong (too many dead ants).

I'd advise against putting them into a large outworld and/or nest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users