• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Michigan 5/21/21

Best Answer NickAnter , May 22 2021 - 7:26 AM

No, this is Lasius aphidicola. They are supposedly easier to raise by a large margin than interjectus. The other species option would be speculiventris, but it does not seem to have the gaster pilosity of that species.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted May 21 2021 - 6:40 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I've never caught one of these before, don't even know where to start. Found it on the porch while I was out looking for camponotus. Best pics I can get at the moment. 6 or 7mm.

IMG_20210521_212744161~2.jpg
IMG_20210521_211526140~2.jpg

Edited by Polyacanthus, May 21 2021 - 6:43 PM.

#2 Offline VoidElecent - Posted May 21 2021 - 6:43 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

Lasius interjectus, a social parasite.

#3 Offline Polyacanthus - Posted May 21 2021 - 7:05 PM

Polyacanthus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I'll probably put her back where I found her tomorrow then. Thanks.

#4 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 22 2021 - 7:26 AM   Best Answer

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

No, this is Lasius aphidicola. They are supposedly easier to raise by a large margin than interjectus. The other species option would be speculiventris, but it does not seem to have the gaster pilosity of that species.

• AnthonyP163 and Manitobant like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 22 2021 - 10:54 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

yeah this one isn’t interjectus. Id guess that its speculiventris since they apparently fly quite early in the year.

#6 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted May 23 2021 - 7:45 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Indeed. Myself and another keeper from the northeast learned that speculiventris actually have their main flights in late June/Early July. This hardly, if at all, overlaps with aphidicola

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#7 Offline ArmansAnts - Posted May 23 2021 - 8:04 AM

ArmansAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Yeah, definitely should be L. aphidicola.

Ant-Keeping & Ethology Discord Server: https://discord.gg/2QdvQescDW
Arman's Ants YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube....r6PhuBZiYATC-Gg

My Journal: https://www.formicul...-updated-91620/

Looking for news in Myrmecology? Click below!

antwire_formi.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users