• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I need help identifying this queen

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted May 22 2021 - 11:24 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
So I found this queen next to an argentine trail, and boy she was fast, when I finnaly got her into a test tube I tried to identify her but with no luck do you guys have an idea?

-That_one_ant_guy

Attached Images

• 20210522_121004~2.jpg
  • 20210522_120614.jpg
  • 20210522_120807.jpg

#2 Offline ponerinecat - Posted May 22 2021 - 2:25 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Interesting, she's an exceedingly slim Formica alate.

#3 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 22 2021 - 4:31 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, that is not normal... If she gets workers I will be astonished. She likely has some genetic defect.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#4 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted May 22 2021 - 4:57 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

i wonder what the workers would look like

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 22 2021 - 4:58 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Could it be a formica microgyna group species? The microgyna group have tiny, leggy and slim queens. If so, she is parasitic and will need host workers.

#6 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 22 2021 - 5:02 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

To my knowledge, none in CA look like this. I think this is a fusca group Formica, like francoeuri, that has genetic issues.

I guess it is possible though, if highly unlikely, so maybe boosting her with some workers could be a good idea.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 22 2021 - 5:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

To my knowledge, none in CA look like this. I think this is a fusca group Formica, like francoeuri, that has genetic issues.

I guess it is possible though, if highly unlikely, so maybe boosting her with some workers could be a good idea.

this is a long shot, but it could possibly be undescribed. The microgyna group is the least understood of the parasitic formica groups.

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 22 2021 - 5:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s the weirdest looking thing I’ve ever seen.
  • TennesseeAnts and Antkeeper01 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 22 2021 - 5:35 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
Still even if it isn’t microgyna group, I would give her some formica pupae. Parasitic formica can usually open them by themselves, although callows is also recommended.

#10 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted May 23 2021 - 7:44 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Hmmmmm, yeah I might try giving her some formica pupae, her abdomen his pretty small compared to the rest of her body though, should I try giving her some sugar water?

#11 Offline NPLT - Posted May 23 2021 - 8:09 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

So, this may be a longshot, but, maybe this is some sort of an intercaste ant.

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#12 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 23 2021 - 8:11 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Hmmmmm, yeah I might try giving her some formica pupae, her abdomen his pretty small compared to the rest of her body though, should I try giving her some sugar water?

yes, most parasite queens are malnourished in the nest due to the amount of alates produced.

#13 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted May 23 2021 - 2:08 PM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I found some formica workers but couldn't track down the nest☹ but, I gave her some sugar water and she seems to be enjoying it

Edited by That_one_ant_guy, May 23 2021 - 2:09 PM.

#14 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 23 2021 - 4:46 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That girl needs some donuts and fried chicken.
  • TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard, Ecan and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#15 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted May 24 2021 - 5:51 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

That girl needs some donuts and fried chicken.

Lol

#16 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 24 2021 - 6:02 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Genetic defect, huh?  Interesting, exited to see what her workers might look like (if they don't look similar that would be somewhat disappointing).  Is it possible if another queen has a similar genetic defect and the colonies alates and drones mix, will it result into a new species or a physical trait difference, like how species can have differentiating colours? 

シグナチャーです。예.

#17 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 24 2021 - 6:19 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I'm seeing a lot of Formica fusca-group species that look fairly similar to this. I'm not going to guess a species, as I'm not the best at Formica identification, but a species similar to F. subelongata seems to be a good match. Take this with a grain of salt though, 'cause I'm no Formica expert.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#18 Offline NPLT - Posted May 24 2021 - 7:50 AM

NPLT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationPiaseczno, Poland

Genetic defect, huh?  Interesting, exited to see what her workers might look like (if they don't look similar that would be somewhat disappointing).  Is it possible if another queen has a similar genetic defect and the colonies alates and drones mix, will it result into a new species or a physical trait difference, like how species can have differentiating colours? 

Most likely the latter for a very, very long time, assuming these can survive and found colonies, but it would definetly not be a new species as this colonies alates could probably still mate with other colonies alates of this species and such a pairing would produce viable and fertile alates. It maybe could develop into a new species, but it would not be within any of our lifetimes, unless someone finds a  way to live thousands or millions of years.

• Chickalo likes this

Um, uh, Ants!

link to journal: https://www.formicul...lt-ant-journal/

#19 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted May 28 2021 - 5:20 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California
Do you know if she is capable of flying? That’d surprise me as much as her being able to have workers, if not more.

#20 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 29 2021 - 6:48 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Do you know if she is capable of flying? That’d surprise me as much as her being able to have workers, if not more.

Why wouldn't she be able to fly? If anything she can probably fly better than bulkier species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users