• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Discothyrea testacea Worker Photos

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 20 2021 - 4:26 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

My first ever time seeing this species! A single worker was found in a pine needle bed over a red clay-humus mixture at the base of an American sweetgum. Other ant species present were Brachymyrmex depilisNylanderia faisonensis, Crematogaster lineolata, and Aphaenogaster fulva-rudis-texana complex sp. All images can be seen on iNaturalist here. I will continue to search for the colony to make an attempt at keeping these gals, which I know is said to be extremely difficult. I'll try and see what species of arthropods are present in the area as well so I can try and narrow down what exactly it is that they eat, if I can find the colony that is. Anyways, here are some of the photos I took of this tiny, rare ant:

original.jpg?1621477392

Similar to the relative, Proceratium, starting at gastral segment III, the segments are curled under segment II, likely used to held the carry eggs.

original.jpg?1621477383

original.jpg?1621477401

The prominent fused frontal lobes of this species form a sort of crest between the antennal fossae, which are visible in profile due to the fusing of the lobes.

original.jpg?1621477414

Here she cleans the massive antennal clubs this species is known for.

original.jpg?1621477430

The minute eye of this ant with its single facet is just scarcely visible here as a tiny speck.

• TennesseeAnts, Kaelwizard, Manitobant and 2 others like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#2 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 20 2021 - 4:32 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

That's a neat find! Why are their antennae so large?

#3 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 20 2021 - 5:11 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

That's a neat find! Why are their antennae so large?

I'm not entirely certain, and I don't think anyone knows. One of the many mysteries of these ants.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01 and ZTYguy like this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#4 Offline gcsnelling - Posted May 20 2021 - 9:26 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Cool find.

• Ferox_Formicae likes this

#5 Offline smares - Posted May 20 2021 - 9:55 PM

smares

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLakewood, Colorado
It looks so smooth and flawless
  • Ferox_Formicae likes this

#6 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 21 2021 - 4:10 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

It looks so smooth and flawless

No hairs on these gals, pretty much entirely hairless, hence the smooth, matte appearance.

• smares likes this

Currently Keeping:

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#7 Offline Arthroverts - Posted June 4 2021 - 8:30 AM

Arthroverts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationSoCal, San Bernardino

Beautiful! That's a really awesome find, best of luck in finding the rest of the colony.

Thanks for sharing,

Arthroverts

My blog devoted to invertebrates of all shapes and sizes

Invertebrate Club of Southern California

"And God said, 'Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.' And it was so." Genesis 1:24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users