• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

First Major Eaten?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Queen - Posted May 4 2021 - 12:51 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

Species: C. sansabeanus

I noticed a first major pupae about a month ago and it finally turned to an adult yesterday. I observed it for a few hours and things seemed normal as the worker ants were cleaning the major. This afternoon I noticed the ants are eating the major.

Has this happen to you? Any thoughts or concerns?

Thanks

#2 Offline azzaaazzzz00 - Posted May 4 2021 - 12:58 PM

azzaaazzzz00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationBogota, NJ

That has happened to me too, I'm guessing it's normal. Also make sure that your feeding them enough protien and other stuff.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this
Been keeping ants since January of 2021

Always try new things, even if its hard, hard is not impossible. We are smart and it's good to be smart but not too smart for your own good.

#3 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 5 2021 - 4:10 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

They might've accidentally created one?  I guess they decided larger ant=delicious protein source, not way to get delicious protein sources.  Probably nothing to concern about.  I've heard of this happening other than just azzaaazzzz00 (not even gonna check if I spelled that right [thank you, Kael, for correcting my grammatical mistake :) ]), if they're just in their first year, again, it could've just been a mistake.

Edited by Chickalo, May 5 2021 - 4:16 AM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 5 2021 - 4:13 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

They might've accidentally created one?  I guess they decided larger ant=delicious protein source, not way to get delicious protein sources.  Probably nothing to concern about.  I've heard of this happening other than just azzaaazzzz00 (not even gonna check if I spelt that right), if they're just in their first year, again, it could've just been a mistake.

Spelled*

But yeah It definitely happens sometimes. 

• Chickalo likes this

#5 Offline Queen - Posted May 5 2021 - 8:39 PM

Queen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley

Thanks. Though I don't think it was a mistake because they have 5 more coming very soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users