• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are they Tapinoma sessile or Technomyrmex (difficilis)?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 18 2016 - 6:29 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
I can't take pictures or send samples, because I'm at my friend's place. And my phone does not do good pictures. I get back on Tuesday, earliest I can take pictures (my dad's phone is awesome for ant pictures).

My friend lives in Ramona (Southern California, east county San Diego). It is a semi-rural area, but a lot of houses and a school nearby. There are also millions of Argentine ants, Messor Andrei, Forelius mccooki, some small ants and Pogonomyrmex. The Messor get attacked by the Argentine ants a lot (but somehow survive), and the Argentine ants here don't seem to be as aggressive. But millions of Argentine ants. :P Surprised other ants are around, but guess the Argentine ants here are just not very warlike.

These look different than Tapinoma sessile I remember seeing. T. sessile that I've seen are a bit smaller than Argentine ants. These are actually the size or a bit bigger than Argentine ants. The three queens (pretty sure I found lots, but I didn't sort through the dirt. And actually, they were just in the grass and inside plants, they weren't underground at all) I found are also much bigger than I remember Tapinoma sessile queens I've seen. The queens are a bit bigger than Argentine ant queens. They also had various nesting spots, each nest had one queen (or more) residing in them. The queens weren't located in one spot, but spread out within the multiple nesting sites. The Tapinoma sessile also take on a more dark brown color (like Argentine ants), these are completely black with white legs. The abdomen is pretty elongated , and the part connecting the petiole is pretty white and the tip is black.

I know Technomyrmex difficilis look similar to Tapinoma sessile, and have similar nesting habits. But, these look a bit different to me and are definitely bigger and a different color than I remember seeing from Tapinoma sessile.

I also know Technomyrmex difficilis HAVE been found in various locations in California, but not widespread at all. But I am not sure where.

But then, maybe they are just Tapinoma sessile and my memory of them is wrong...but, just want to make sure. However, one thing I am positive of. The queens are definitely bigger than I've seen from Tapinoma sessile queens. Unless the size just varies depending on region.

Edited by Vendayn, March 18 2016 - 6:51 PM.

#2 Offline Miles - Posted March 18 2016 - 7:09 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Do the "Tapinoma" emit a strong coconutty or blue cheese smell when crushed?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#3 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 18 2016 - 8:46 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
Tapinoma sessile smell like coconut, and its very strong.

I dunno how these smell. I had some on my hand and I wiped them off and squished a couple, and didn't notice anything strong like T. sessile are like. Usually they are super overpowering. If the Technomyrmex are supposed to smell different or if they don't, I'll try one more worker.

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 18 2016 - 8:56 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I HATE that smell.

#5 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 18 2016 - 11:11 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
Yeah, I don't like it either for Tapinoma sessile. Its really strong. These ones didn't seem as bad (or at all, didn't really notice), but maybe I didn't get a good smell.

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 19 2016 - 2:38 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Most likely Tapinoma, Wetterer 2013 does not list Technomyrmex difficilis as having been found in California. Tapinoma on the other hand is very common in that area.

Edited by gcsnelling, March 19 2016 - 2:39 AM.

#7 Offline Miles - Posted March 19 2016 - 7:48 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I kind of enjoy the fruity coconut smell of our Tapinoma, though I've been in areas where they smell less pleasant. 

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#8 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 19 2016 - 9:37 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Most likely Tapinoma, Wetterer 2013 does not list Technomyrmex difficilis as having been found in California. Tapinoma on the other hand is very common in that area.

Tapinoma it is then. Thanks :)

Though, could they be Technomyrmex albipes? Or just still most likely T. sessile?

This site and a couple others say Technomyrmex albipes have been found here. But, not sure if there are differences that I can tell between them. Do they look too similar to confirm it is Tapinoma sessile?

http://www.antwiki.o...ki/Technomyrmex

Most likely just Tapinoma sessile. Since they are found here already anyway.

#9 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 19 2016 - 1:51 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I stand corrected just double checked the paper, T. difficilis as (T. albipes) has been found in parts of California. The inland area of Ramona is likely far too dry to support this ant. I would not count on your find being anything other than Tapinoma.

Edited by gcsnelling, March 20 2016 - 5:07 PM.

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted March 20 2016 - 4:18 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I can now confirm, these are almost certainly NOT Tapinoma sessile. I crushed a couple workers, and not even a hint of a smell. Maybe a very very slight one, but that might be household smells since dad has been painting in the garage. However, every Tapinoma sessile I ever encountered has been very strong. From what I can tell, and I have a pretty good smelling nose, there isn't anything after crushing them. A few seconds after crushing the worker, there was still nothing on my fingers from them. Unless, some Tapinoma sessile just don't have a smell, as these have none at all.

Here are a bunch of pictures of a worker

Spoiler

#11 Offline gcsnelling - Posted March 20 2016 - 5:14 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Well I certainly have had Tapinoma without an odor, at this point though I won't try to say what these are for sure since your pictures don't show needed key features. enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users