• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Fight in Myrmica founding colony

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Offline steelplant - Posted May 11 2021 - 4:50 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
I've a 4 queen Myrmica (most likely rubra) founding colony that now has several workers. Two of the queens still had a wing attached and may be unmated. They're the ones that foraged for food during founding. They seemed really happy and had chosen to be together from a group of 6 queens (the other two opted for solo founding). This morning I noticed two queens with locked mandibles fighting in the outworld. The one with a wing was trying to get away and out of the enclosure. After several hours of this, in a gap in the fighting, I managed to suck the bullied one out and put her in a new tube.

Did I do the right thing? Is she being chased off now there are workers? Any advice gratefully accepted thanks.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 11 2021 - 6:12 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Some myrmica found through pleometrosis, and aren’t truly polygynous. This is probably the case here.

#3 Offline steelplant - Posted May 11 2021 - 6:57 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks Manitobant. Should I keep her alone and give her a chance to found herself in case she is mated, or let her go where I found her in a nuptial flight last August? My heart really goes out to the poor lady as she worked so hard for that colony.

Edit: just thought of a couple more options. Try her with a solo queen colony (have got one with workers, two still at larvae/pupae). Or if she isn't mated, raid her a few pupae from a wild colony? I can do this in a non invasive way. Well, as non invasive as possible.

Edited by steelplant, May 11 2021 - 7:04 AM.

#4 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 11 2021 - 6:59 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Thanks Manitobant. Should I keep her alone and give her a chance to found herself in case she is mated, or let her go where I found her in a nuptial flight last August? My heart really goes out to the poor lady as she worked so hard for that colony.

If you want to try to found her go ahead. If you think the colony can spare some feel free to brood boost her.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 11 2021 - 7:03 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

I would give her a few of the workers from the old colony, as they should still accept her. If you can’t give her that or brood, it will be very hard for her to re-found.

Edited by Manitobant, May 11 2021 - 7:07 AM.

#6 Offline steelplant - Posted May 11 2021 - 7:06 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks guys. You replied so quickly I was editing my reply. I can't really get at the new workers as they aren't foraging yet, but could grab some wild pupae for sure.

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 11 2021 - 7:08 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
Also, keep an eye on the three remaining queens. During pleometrosis, the weaker queens will gradually be eliminated until only one is left.

#8 Offline steelplant - Posted May 11 2021 - 7:18 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Thanks Manitobant - will keep a close eye.

#9 Offline Chickalo - Posted May 11 2021 - 7:24 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

Some myrmica found through pleometrosis, and aren’t truly polygynous. This is probably the case here.

What's the difference?  Google was just giving the definition of polygynous.

edit:  nevermind just remembered its polygynous until workers choose one queen

Edited by Chickalo, May 11 2021 - 7:24 AM.

シグナチャーです。예.

#10 Offline steelplant - Posted May 14 2021 - 12:02 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Quick update on this plucky lady - she already has eggs! I'm almost hoping she's unmated and produces a male, as another Myrmica founding colony (1 queen, a few workers) has already produced a queen! First i even knew she existed, she was trying to fly in the outworld. Is she just practising, or does she think it's August already? I live on a boat, so it's always humid and comparatively warm. I didn't light a fire last night, so it went down to fridge temperature, in the hope that might stop her trying to fly, but i was out today so don't know if it worked. So anyway, the plan is to get a drone and try mating her in captivity. Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Edited by steelplant, May 14 2021 - 12:03 PM.

• ZTYguy likes this

#11 Offline ZTYguy - Posted May 14 2021 - 12:22 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Well if you get a male and female elate then just stick um together and wait.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#12 Offline steelplant - Posted May 14 2021 - 12:42 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Yup that's the idea ztyguy. I did the same with her mother as she never had larvae after several months, though this could have been poor antkeeping as she was my first queen. I found a wild Myrmica drone harassing workers and grabbed him.
  • ZTYguy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users