• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

THG's Prenolepis imparis log

37 replies to this topic

#21 Offline DRpepper - Posted September 12 2022 - 6:35 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Update?

#22 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted September 12 2022 - 7:39 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

Update?

All the queens died. I've not had good luck with this species so far. 

• futurebird likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#23 Offline aznphenom - Posted September 12 2022 - 7:49 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Update?

All the queens died. I've not had good luck with this species so far. 

Not many people do. I've given up on them. I keep them if i catch them because they fly right in front of my community. But I have very little expectation of them thriving.

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#24 Offline sL0wNsteady - Posted September 12 2022 - 9:55 PM

sL0wNsteady

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA
I had a colony that I left in my mom’s spare room. I forgot about it for a year. They were in a test tube connected to an outworld and all they had was a byformica feeder and sunburst nectar. They were still alive when I remembered.

My mom kept that house in the low 70s.

When I took them to my apartment, they ended up dying. I think because my apartment can get pretty hot.

They definitely do best when it’s cold. (I guess that’s why they are winter ants).

Once I move to a place that I better control the temp, I will try again. My dream is to have a multi queen colony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • futurebird likes this

#25 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 13 2024 - 7:20 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

I'm going to give these another shot this year. I have two bifurcated mini hearths ready just for them. Wish me luck! (y)

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

Looking for

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

#26 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 14 2024 - 4:56 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I have two colonies. One colony lost all it’s workers (besides one and the queen) because I didn’t move their test tube in time, and another colony is nice and healthy but no eggs. Don’t know why. Probably temperature issues which is strange. I am also attempting to catch more this year, possibly even a multi-queen setup.
  • TacticalHandleGaming likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#27 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 19 2024 - 6:38 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

I only managed to capture one queen on flights so far. She had no wings when I found her. I'm hoping I find more soon.

med_gallery_5988_2011_18129.jpg

• rptraut likes this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#28 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted March 25 2024 - 7:29 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

We officially have eggs!  :yahoo:

med_gallery_5988_2011_333454.jpg

med_gallery_5988_2011_501473.jpg

• Karma, rptraut, AntsCali098 and 2 others like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#29 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 9 2024 - 5:46 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

The queen is looking very healthy, and we have a nice replete!

med_gallery_5988_2011_223903.jpg

med_gallery_5988_2011_703984.jpg

• Karma, futurebird and Ernteameise like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#30 Offline futurebird - Posted April 10 2024 - 5:29 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I just caught one of these queens. I have a wine fridge that I use for overwintering ants. Do you think I should put my queen in the fridge at about 55F? I can keep her cool if it's needed since I'm not using the fridge with all the other ants out of hibernation. 

My apartment will start getting VERY warm in the coming weeks and if that's bad for her maybe I should pack her away?

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#31 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 10 2024 - 6:53 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Extreme heat is awful for this species. Where species like Solonopsis, Camponotus, and Formica like heat, the guys can’t even have their brood develop with it. It is still cool on my area but when it isn’t I have to put them in my refrigerator. Make sure it’s at a temp where they can still move (these guys can move in real low temperature anyways so yeah).
  • futurebird likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#32 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 10 2024 - 7:17 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

I just caught one of these queens. I have a wine fridge that I use for overwintering ants. Do you think I should put my queen in the fridge at about 55F? I can keep her cool if it's needed since I'm not using the fridge with all the other ants out of hibernation. 

My apartment will start getting VERY warm in the coming weeks and if that's bad for her maybe I should pack her away?

Basically you don't want them to get over 75ish degrees. They have a summer estivation period they go through, make sure they are comfortable and not too hot during that period.
  • futurebird and Artisan_Ants like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#33 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 10 2024 - 10:37 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Wow, it is very interesting to learn about an ant species that does not love heat and needs to be kept cool.

There is so much to learn!

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#34 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 13 2024 - 8:31 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

A quick little video of the colony. They recently consumed a cricket, and are doing quite well.

• futurebird, rptraut and Ernteameise like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#35 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 13 2024 - 9:42 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
Prenolepis imparis cause absolute chaos in my yard during the cold months lol. They bully everything. Even the Solenopsis invicta are no match for them when the Preno's are on their beast mode status.

They seem super cool, but harder to keep. Especially here in Florida, where it would be a pain having to keep them in diapause for such long periods of time.

I love being able to live vicariously through you here in this journal!
  • TacticalHandleGaming and rptraut like this

#36 Offline futurebird - Posted April 13 2024 - 4:23 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Lovely video. Thank you for the update. My girl is in the wine fridge at 70F for now and she seems less stressed and sits in the middle of the tube. With some luck maybe I will see some eggs, but who knows if she's mated or not. This diary is super helpful. 

• TacticalHandleGaming and rptraut like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#37 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 13 2024 - 4:33 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

Lovely video. Thank you for the update. My girl is in the wine fridge at 70F for now and she seems less stressed and sits in the middle of the tube. With some luck maybe I will see some eggs, but who knows if she's mated or not. This diary is super helpful. 

I'm glad to be of any help. I've tried to get this species going many times now. I'm hopeful that I will be successful this year. This attempt is with kidnapped workers from an existing colony. As I had read that Prenolepis imparis will sometimes fly with workers on their backs, or even crawl back into their home colony and setup shop there. As you can see, the workers accepted the queen as their own. Caring for her, her brood, and even getting repletes.

• rptraut and Ernteameise like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#38 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 23 2024 - 9:38 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationOregon

The colony is doing quite well. With a nice egg pile the worker is caring for.

med_gallery_5988_2011_830251.jpg

• futurebird, Ernteameise, Voidley and 1 other like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users