• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

is this a queen ant?

Best Answer Kaelwizard , May 4 2021 - 2:41 PM

Isn't this the same one you already posted about? It is a Myrmica queen. They are semi-claustral so she will need a liquid source of sugar (honey water or sugar water) and prekilled insects for protein.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crazycow - Posted May 4 2021 - 1:51 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

I found an ant in my backyard today (may 4th 2021) and at first glance i thought it was just a worker but as i examined it i noticed the size of its thorax. this lead me to believe it was a queen. after taking a closer look at a picture i took of it i saw what i think are wing scars. however after going back to the spot i found it i found a second ant of this same species. now i am doubting if its a queen or just workers. i did get the species ID'd and it is believed to be of the Myrmica family and i think it might be a Myrmica rubra due to pictures and info i've seen online. I have also read that Mymica are polygynous so it may just be another queen it was settling with. dose anyone have any more info or any opinions on the matter? 

509C82FC-07AA-419B-93F4-A6465DC270F6.png

8D550A22-5681-4FF2-948E-69CAC4C09AB5.png

2F4345A5-2864-4E98-9181-3ABAB4567154.png

#2 Offline Broncos - Posted May 4 2021 - 2:01 PM

Broncos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • LocationOrange, California
It looks like one.

Currently Keeping:

Pogonomyrmex Californicus Bicolor & Concolor

Pogonomyrmex Subnitidius

Camponotus Sansabeanus

Youtube:https://www.youtube....-ants-tutorials

#3 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted May 4 2021 - 2:41 PM   Best Answer

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Isn't this the same one you already posted about? It is a Myrmica queen. They are semi-claustral so she will need a liquid source of sugar (honey water or sugar water) and prekilled insects for protein.

Edited by Kaelwizard, May 4 2021 - 2:42 PM.

#4 Offline Crazycow - Posted May 4 2021 - 2:59 PM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

yes i just started doubting if it was indeed a queen. also that is useful info about the honey and insects thank you

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 4 2021 - 7:05 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada

yes i just started doubting if it was indeed a queen. also that is useful info about the honey and insects thank you
dude if you have doubts at least ask in the old thread, no need to create a completely new and pointless topic.
  • Chickalo likes this

#6 Offline Crazycow - Posted May 5 2021 - 8:06 AM

Crazycow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWashinton

dude if you have doubts at least ask in the old thread, no need to create a completely new and pointless topic.
Sorry I’m new to this website and didn’t know my bad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users