• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

ID request: inch ant drone or queen?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Offline justanotheramy - Posted April 10 2022 - 9:34 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

20220410_192744.jpg

My 9 year old found another one — in the house.
Thoughts?

• OiledOlives and PaigeX like this

#22 Offline ZTYguy - Posted April 10 2022 - 10:09 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Give your child an award and keep it. Also possibly M. pyriformis

• T.C. likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#23 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted April 10 2022 - 10:27 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

attachicon.gif20220410_192744.jpg

Thoughts?

I second this.

• ZTYguy and ColAnt735 like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#24 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted April 10 2022 - 10:29 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

attachicon.gif20220410_192744.jpg

Thoughts?

Very nice! If you want to raise her then go for it. 

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#25 Offline OiledOlives - Posted April 11 2022 - 5:34 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Any idea how to tell? I looked at the antwiki key to Myrmecia (here) and it seems that, to differentiate from other species in the genera, the anterior petiole is short and the scape hairs usually are not erect, but in these pictures, the petiole is obscured (by wings in first picture, legs in second picture) and the picture is not good enough to see scape hairs.

#26 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 11 2022 - 5:50 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Any idea how to tell? I looked at the antwiki key to Myrmecia (here) and it seems that, to differentiate from other species in the genera, the anterior petiole is short and the scape hairs usually are not erect, but in these pictures, the petiole is obscured (by wings in first picture, legs in second picture) and the picture is not good enough to see scape hairs.

I'm still learning to ID Myrmecia, but among the common gulosa-group Myrmecia I think pyriformis can be told apart by combination of having mandibles that aren't straight and yellowish gaster pubescence.

#27 Offline OiledOlives - Posted April 11 2022 - 6:08 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I'm still learning to ID Myrmecia, but among the common gulosa-group Myrmecia I think pyriformis can be told apart by combination of having mandibles that aren't straight and yellowish gaster pubescence.

Thanks Mett!

#28 Offline justanotheramy - Posted May 2 2022 - 10:44 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

IMG_8263.jpg

She's a layer!

(apologies for image quality; she didn't appreciate the photo op)

• ZTYguy, Leptomyrmx and PaigeX like this

#29 Offline justanotheramy - Posted August 9 2022 - 9:06 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Queen 2 is doing very well, and her babies are fat and wiggly.

ant1.jpg

ant3.jpg

Attached Images

• ant2.jpg

Edited by justanotheramy, August 9 2022 - 9:07 PM.

• DDD101DDD, ZTYguy and Leptomyrmx like this

#30 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 9 2022 - 10:04 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

So cute!!! Hopefully you’ll get a nice big colony out of her!

• PaigeX likes this

Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#31 Offline justanotheramy - Posted August 9 2022 - 10:17 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

She is going to need a habitat upgrade soon, I think, to give the kids somewhere to forage.

Happy to take advice.

• ZTYguy likes this

#32 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 9 2022 - 10:24 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

I’d do a simple tubs n tubes setup but a AUS Ants ytong founding nest would actually be perfect for her. You can actually look at the best care video on Jordan Dean’s YT channel to see his Myrmecia colonies. 

• PaigeX likes this

Currently Keeping:

#33 Offline justanotheramy - Posted August 10 2022 - 8:01 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I was also looking at the Bullant Den.
Has anyone here tried it?

#34 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted August 10 2022 - 11:11 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I was also looking at the Bullant Den.
Has anyone here tried it?

Haven't tried it myself but I've heard it's great.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#35 Offline justanotheramy - Posted August 19 2022 - 10:24 PM

justanotheramy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I got the Bullant Den, and it arrived a couple of days ago.

I really like it!

We can see what she's doing, but she feels a lot safer. She's a lot more active in there than I realised, pacing about.
And she tickles the larvae with her antenna until they wiggle, which is… both interesting and a bit adorable?

• ANTS_KL and antsriondel like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users