• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2 Queen MESSOR BARBARUS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline St3 - Posted April 15 2021 - 3:27 AM

St3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I bought 2 queens and merged there test tubes and they accepted each other GREAT, IT will be a while untill my next update ( first workers arrived )
  • Chickalo, TacticalHandleGaming and mantisgal like this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 15 2021 - 8:09 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Messor barbarus do pleometrosis, not polygyny, meaning when the workers arrive, one of the queens will be killed. Just a warning in case you didn’t know.

Edited by Manitobant, April 15 2021 - 8:10 AM.

• Chickalo and mantisgal like this

#3 Offline St3 - Posted April 15 2021 - 5:22 PM

St3

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
As if you text that, guess what happens today, I am left with the stronger queen with alot of brood,
  • Manitobant and Chickalo like this

#4 Offline Fatatoille - Posted April 16 2021 - 1:02 AM

Fatatoille

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK (England)

Whilst messor do typically exhibit pleometrosis, there have been some cases of merging and creation of multiqueen colonies in captivity. As far as I have read into it, founding queens are merged together when the first nanitics start to eclose, after that it is just a question of tolerance, there is certainly the possibility that the queens could slaughter each other later down the line, but the aggression seems to be negated. this is the largest multiqueen colony in captivity as far as I am aware:

https://www.youtube....Grz2gaz6UFOnjOc

Edited by Fatatoille, April 16 2021 - 1:05 AM.

Prawn and Mayo sandwiches taste nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users